cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires rubbing on camper 2 inch clearance ?

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Bought trailer used. Have now noticed wear of tires against bottom of trailer.

Springs are above the axles.

Was this caused most likely from a flat tire rubbing the bottom or is clearance not enough?

Would stronger springs help??

Any ideas? Is best bet TPMS system to lesson chance of blowout or flat ??

Thanks
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
19 REPLIES 19

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
John

Thanks. That is great info. I will check. I remember seeing some arch to the axle. I have a long level. Will check.

Yes both sides of springs look the same.
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
This pic of yours shows a heavy overload has occurred, even the minor leaves are bent down.

Are both sides of the camper like this?

You should check the axle camber on both axle tubes. If you have a 4 ft level or other known straight edge, mark off the center left to right on the axle tube. Then mark the straight edge on center of it's length. Hold the straight edge up against the bottom of the axle tube, the tube should be arched "up" at the center. Up means positive camber, a good thing. If the tube is straight across, you have lost camber as this is 0 camber where the axle can get to under full load. If the tube is bent down in the center, that is signs of a heavy overload and negative camber. The axle must be replaced or re-cambered or you will wear tires. And if the axle tube camber is gone, the axle stubs on the ends may also be bent.

See here. Don't mind the worn boots, they fit well... This pic shows positive camber.

If you measure the gap at the middle, you can back into how good or bad the axle camber is pending the weight of the camper and knowing the axle rating. This is a 5,200# rated axle tube that is not at full capacity.

There are other checks you can do make sure the wheel toe is not affected, (bent axle spindle stub) but if the axle tube camber is bad, you may be into new axle tubes anyway. Ideally you check the axles and wheel alignment before you change springs so you know the new springs will work OK. New springs on a bent axle tube means tires can & most times, will, wear real fast.

Hope this helps. We really need more info on the camper to help better. Someone did a number on those springs. There may be more damage elsewhere.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Them springs are pooched.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Those are beyond flat and appear to be arched the opposite of how they should be. You definitely need new springs.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
here are the pics... they look flat to me?

http://bitly.ws/wotc
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
It is not a grand design... have two trailers. Will work on some pics
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TenOC wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I assume replacement springs are needed. If spending money I would go up some in rating.

At same time flip the axles

He said springs are already on top of axles.

Just sounds like the springs are sacked out.
Not a horribly difficult fix.
Hand tools job if nothing is rusted together.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
I assume replacement springs are needed. If spending money I would go up some in rating.

At same time flip the axles
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
It would help us give you better answers if we knew some more about the camper. Year, make, model so we know what you have? And do you know the axle size, the dry empty weight and the GVWR of the camper? Some of this info can be in the camper manual or on load stickers pending the year the camper was made.

2" of wheel well clearance may only work if the springs on the camper are a lot heavier in rating then the GVWR. Some camper brands are set up as low riders, and usually underslung axles. But in your case, you stated the spring are over the axle, which does not fit the common thinking of low rider camper with heavy springs.

The prior owner may have overloaded the camper, as was stated, a spring broken, or the springs are fatigued from age. We have no idea if your camper is 5 years old or 50 years old. If they did overload the camper, there is an axle inspection that can be done to see if the axle tube has lost camber. And you can get leaf spring arch heights on the spring packs from the spring manufacture if you can find a tag on the springs or axle. Assuming you have leaf springs and not a torsion axle.

3" of wheel well clearance is a common guideline from Dexter axle. However, some manufactures set up campers lower then that, and they can work, but again, this comes back to the capacity of the springs verses the rated GVWR if they can run lower then 3" clearance.

The wheel well rub may have come from broken suspension (shackle failure) or a blown tire, or both to name a few by the prior owner.

Give us some more to go on, just throwing heavier springs at the camper may not solve all the issues you could be up against.

A TPM on a camper is a very good thing regardless. I use the TST system, this one, https://tsttruck.com/ It works well for my setup. I have it on the truck also as my truck is older before TPM's were mandated.

Hope this helps,

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Tires have rubbed in the past.. through to the plywood. MFL thanks for the pics... mine are flatter.

I think new heavier duty springs are in order. The rubbing could have been due to a blowouts... but heavier springs can't hurt

Thanks again
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fowlthing wrote:
Tires and rims are per factory sticker.

Springs look flat to me. But just a guess
On my part.

Tires/wheels match factory sticker, then most likely springs were barely adequate from new, and are loosing their arc, from carrying a heavy trailer.

Are both sides of trailer at just 2's clearance? Have both sides lost their spring arc? It is possible to have a broken spring in the pack, that is not real noticeable.

Here is a pic of my FW spring arc, which is allowing a good 3"s of clearance. They do not appear flat.