cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smaller tanks

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone gone from the 33 lb tanks down to the smaller 20 lb tanks? It's so easy to just swap the smaller ones out at just about anywhere.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley
15 REPLIES 15

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Most propane suppliers around here will re-cert I believe.
I only had it done once as I kept getting flack about it when re filling. But that is situational as many or most gas stations donโ€™t check They refill and thatโ€™s all

My recertified tanks have a HUGE silver sticker with the recert date and new experation date on the sticker. Kinds FUGLY but easy to see.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
p38fln wrote:
How do yo get 30# tanks certified? Ours are from 1990. We've mostly been using 20# tanks but when it gets below freezing the camper can easily burn a tank a day.

a 30# tank from 1990 may be spendy to recertify since it will have to have one of the OPD floats put in it as well. probably less expensive to just get a new one.

To get tanks recertified take them to one of the propane distributors office where they sell propane and tanks.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
2112 wrote:
I'm considering it after my two 30's expire next year. One 30 pounder lasts us over a year.

Save yourself some money just get your tanks recertified. Way cheaper than buying new tanks.

around here that's true for everything but 5 gallon tanks. I've found it's cheaper to buy a new 5 gallon when stores have them on sale than recertifying them. In fact a 5 gallon with a REAL fuel gauge (float based) is less than recertifying a 5 gallon. drop the outdated 5 gallon at one of the tank swap places.

Or even less expensive is to take an expired 5 gallon to one of the tank swap places and swap for a tank that has a long in the future experation date. $20 or so will get you a partially filled tank.

Now, 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 7.5 gallon, cheaper to recertify.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
p38fln wrote:
How do yo get 30# tanks certified? Ours are from 1990. We've mostly been using 20# tanks but when it gets below freezing the camper can easily burn a tank a day.

True propane suppliers usually provide that service. Propane fillers (like Uhaul) don't.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If handling ease is your goal then by all means switch to 20#.
The wife and I travel quite a bit in our trailer and could easily get by with smaller tanks.

We seldom boondock and almost always heat our trailer with a ceramic heater.
Your furnace will be the determining factor as it's BY FAR the biggest user of Propane.
Enjoy your adventures.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Most propane suppliers around here will re-cert I believe.
I only had it done once as I kept getting flack about it when re filling. But that is situational as many or most gas stations donโ€™t check They refill and thatโ€™s all
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

p38fln
Explorer
Explorer

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
I'm considering it after my two 30's expire next year. One 30 pounder lasts us over a year.

Save yourself some money just get your tanks recertified. Way cheaper than buying new tanks.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I use one tank at a time. When one is empty, I switch and refill before the next trip. That has always been enough time to find a cheaper filling location.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'll stay with the larger tanks for now. I had one empty and when I filled it, I had him stop at 6.8 gal and it was $28.00. I went all summer with around 5 trips 4 or 5 days long on one tank. One tank lasted a pretty long time.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
recently I filled a 30lb tank cost was less than a 20lb tank swap and the tank swaps you get aren't even filled to allowed capacity, They underfill. Basically double the propane for less money.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our current rig came with 20# tanks. Even in cold weather, we typically get a month or more on a tank.

We do usually get them filled. By filling, you get 20# of propane instead of the swap places that typically give you 15# of propane in a 20# bottle. And the fill is typically cheaper than the swap.

The exception is when a tank ages out. Then we swap for a newer tank and go back to filling.

The supports might require some minor modifications but shouldn't be anything complicated or expensive.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
You could also carry 1 extra 20lb tank for just such a need. Instead of replacing the 33's, use a 20 and a 33, and replace the 20 as needed.

I don't know, there are many ways to do it. Years ago, on our Salem TT, we had 2 - 20's since new. I added a third to storage, and could rotate out as needed. Different, but just a thought.