cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fan in circuit-breaker box is cycling every 10 seconds

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
The circuit-breaker box in this TT is just under the fridge...there's a small fan in the compartment....

That fan is cycling about every ten seconds....on for three seconds, then off for five seconds or so, and then on again....then the cycle repeats

Is this normal? I've never noticed this before
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
8 REPLIES 8

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
Question...Are you parked, plugged into shore power and disconnected from the tow rig when you noticed this? If so.. Have you moved the TT since? IF you are parked with shore power make sure you didn't accidently engage the electric brakes. If you moved you obviously could feel the brakes drag but check the pin on the emergency switch. This happened to me. The pin got pulled out slightly, didn't notice until the extra load caused the fan to run to cool the converter. Seems unlikely but something to look for.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
In the past n TTโ€™s I found that of the battery is weak or getting weak the converter/charger runs more.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the battery voltage, check for excessive battery gassing and heat.

Disconnect the battery and see if the fan issue stops.

Post the results. Also post the breaker panel make and model number.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
All the above is on target. Also, not trying to be "uppity" here, but if it has a WFCO brand converter, it could just be giving up on you. My WFCO brand lasted about 7 years, then one night it just sorta freaked out, fan running on and off and the power was visibly going up and down as the lighting fluctuated bright and dim(well...not so bright). My batteries were perfect, the converter just up and croaked. I got a Progressive Dynamice retro-fit to replace it.....easy peasy, if that turns out to be the issue.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
As above, unless you have a large 12v draw that is cycling on and off, likely a bad battery or charger issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, they normally run on a longer cycle, like for minutes at a time, or stay on if the electrical load is high. You're probably going to have to contact the panel mfgr. to do a troubleshoot. I'm going to make a WAG that its location below the fridge has something to do with it.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The cooling fan runs, when the converter/charger is under heavy load. If it runs on/off continuous, I would check battery condition. May need new battery, or water added to battery. Water way too low, likely need new battery.

The converter itself could be failing, some are better than others. What model do you have?

Are you running any device, that may cause converter to overwork?

Jerry

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if it is normal behavior for your RV or not, but I can tell you what it is. It is the cooling fan for the converter that provides 12v power to power your RV's 12v system, and to recharge the battery bank. Mine runs whenever the converter is under a heavy load, like recharging depleted batteries.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB