cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium battery safety

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Youtuber Will Prowse has just posted a pair of videos about lithium batteries and fire hazards. This link will take you to the second of these, and after you watch it, you would be well served searching out the first one, which is a tear down of a supposedly solid state lithium battery that turns out not to be as advertised.

Clicky.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me put it this way.. IF you get out of bed in the morning (or any time of day) That's dangerous. You could misstep, trip, fall, bang your head on something and die.

If you thus decide to just not get out of bed.. That too is dangerous and can also lead to an early death.

THe moral of this post. Everything is dangerous.. It is important to understand the dangers and how to reduce them to the minimum possible.

For example.. House the batteries in a fire proof box. (one way to reduce the danger)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Fires are with a different chemistry of Li batteries, not the ones we carry around in RVs. Or at least that's what I've seen.

I'm pretty sure we're in much greater danger with propane, or acid batteries melting down.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Makes me want to keep my AGMs.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I am always very careful when drilling my batteries.

Close formation or not......
Prior to drilling, call 'em to attention, and "Dress right, dress!"

BTW - FDNY (New York Fire Dept) is responding to many fires *inside dwellings* caused by the batts used in EV Bikes.

Many/most folks in the Big Apple do NOT have a garage or outside storage, and take their EV bikes into their apartments - some with fatal results...:(

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I am always very careful when drilling my batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here is a video from Oz.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1421024646799921153

Not in my living quarters EVER!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heck, I have no opinion on this, but I do know that quite a few posters on one of the forums I frequent put them under the bed to keep the batteries warm for cold weather charging.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The demonstration video makes it appear to be "harmless", but scale it up in capacity and you get thing like THIS result.. And that ISN'T the "first time" it has happened to a megapack and won't be the last time either.

In 2021 Tesla was reported to have moved over to LFP batteries HERE So, the one that caught fire might have been older Lithium tech, or it could be the new LFP.. No one outside of Tesla is going to know for sure..

Folks like to think they (new Lithium versions) are 100% "safe" but the reality is they need to be respected due to the very high energy density they can hold onto in a small lightweight size.. The video reported max of 250F, that can ignite a lot of stuff like plastics and cause severe and possibly deadly burns to a human or animal.

Treat em like toys and someone will eventually get hurt.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Saw the first Or one like it..

As for the 2nd... Well I wonder what LI formulation he's demonstrating
There is a major difference between LiON and LiFePO4
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes be very carful of your drill around these non-LFP batteries.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best idea is not to buy those fire bombs in the first place
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the link!

I wonder what the chemistry of the smoke is.

I still would only find Li titinate suitable for my situation.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.