cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two blow outs in one day

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
This was Sunday 9/18, I knew better but thought the Westlake tires at 4 years old and only 6500 miles would make one more trip WRONG.

First bomb was left rear at mm 49 on I40 heading to Gatlinburg Tn, replaced with spare on entrance ramp, and almost turned back but went on hoping to get there and buy new tires.
I always drive at 65 and thought I could make it.

The second bomb was right rear at mm 366 just 40 miles from destination at 7pm, and after AAA and GS could not find anyone I found a truck service that had a new Kenda spare on a wheel.

He charged me 3 hrs minimum for a 60 mile round trip and $250 for the tire/wheel, but I had no choice other than spend the night with trucks flying buy at 75mph.

The good news is Monday I found a tire shop (Goforth Tire) in Sevierville Tn that had Good Year Endurance and took two at a time from the rv park and finished all 4 by lunch.
These GY Endurance are heavy and very sturdy tires, and glad I found them locally.

If you have Westlake tires please get them off now, you don't want to go through what I did.
28 REPLIES 28

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 said:

"Heck I had a total spindle/bearing failure and aired from 50psi to 70 and towed home 60 miles at 55 on three tires with 117 degree tire temp checking them twice. Zero issue!"

Wow, could have been a disaster for sure!

Pretty gutsy move, towing home on three wheels! Airing up the remaining, good thought too! Many would have just unhooked leaving the boat stranded.

Jerry

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Modern tires are a huge improvement.

We used to buy used tires and recaps. But we only went 50-55 mph most of the time.

I have lost 2 tires in one day many times. I lost 3 tires once in the same day. hard to go very far.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good call on the GY ENDURANCE Tires. Put a set of "D" tires on my Boat Trailer in 2017. I have WAYYY over 20k on them with plenty of tread left. They only get used in the Summer towing nearly every day at 70mph.

Oh yea they are US Made if anyone cares.

Heck I had a total spindle/bearing failure and aired from 50psi to 70 and towed home 60 miles at 55 on three tires with 117 degree tire temp checking them twice. Zero issue!

Thankfully I noticed the cap missing when I walked to get the truck and trailer to pull the boat of the water. Could have killed someone with a free wheeling tire and wheel!

I had just done a temp check along the way getting fuel.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, what he said. Although they're now made in Vietnam it would appear.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
If your tires are stamped Made in China dump them, they're junk. They're low quality.
I completely disagree. I have Sailun S637s and they're very good. Also stamped Made in China.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks pianotuna, I agree going to 16" and LT tires works good for 5.2K axles, and I think sitting in my driveway helped kill my tires in three years.

Have I said how much I like theses new GY Endurance tires. 🙂

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear of your problems

I've had zero problems with my Toyo tires.

I wanted more clearance and so replaced the rims and went to a taller tire with more weight capacity. The OEM Michelin tires were overloaded on the drivers rear. I got about 1.5 inches more ground clearance.

The worst thing for tires is to sit unused. It is a big consideration now that I'm no longer full time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
How did you absolutely rule out overloading, under inflation, over inflation, sun exposure, excessive speed and, the big one, road hazards getting to “it is all Westlake’s fault?”

I had THREE Westlakes blow on me (e range). Whole trip was 320 miles. I drive 65-70 mph. RV stays in the barn so no sun exposure. Tires probably have 6k miles. Tires stay at 80psi and I have a TST tpms.
No way in hell I hit three road hazards. RV isn't overloaded as on a three day trip we carry no water.
Tires were the original on the RV (2016) but still three blowing on one trip is bad luck. I have never had a blowout before. After the first blew I put on the spare. On the way back on Sunday afternoon had the second blow. Luckily my stepdaugher and BF were following us in two trucks (one without a camper). He found a tire shop open on a Sunday afternoon. They were closing at three but said they would wait for us. We took both blown tires. He only had used tires and charged me $110 total for the both including mounting. I gave him an extra $20. Drive another 20 miles and the third Westlake blew. Put on my last spare and drove at 55mph the last 80 miles home.
Wiped out both fender flares and bent up the sheet metal on both sides. Caught the wires to the kitchen slide and ripped them out.
When I got home I patched them back together and for some reason the bottom roller (Schwintek slide) was stuck. Ended up taking that whole mechanism apart. It's in my shop now..
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My Jayco bumper pull trailer has 235/75/15 ST tires on it. It started out with load range C and a max cold pressure of 50 PSI. I upgraded to a load range D with a max cold pressure of 65 PSI.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
As usual my actual experience is questioned BUT. That trailer has for several years had 235X75X15 Goodyear Wrangler tires on it, I just walked out there to make sure, with 40 PSI of air in them. I don't know what pai is. This is a 1999 Pace 32ft enclosed car trailer that weighs about 14,000lbs loaded and I have towed it all over the country like this. I also have a 20ft Featherlite with the same tire, air pressure, etc on it although it is lighter. I am not asking anyone to agree, just saying what has worked for me for a long time. Carry on and safe travels.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
"1-I check the air before I start out and every time I stop and run 40psi of air"

Not sure I understand this. Are you saying you run 40 pai tire pressure?

I also noticed that 40 psi, thought maybe a typo? The 235/75 15 seems an unusual size, for triple axle trailer, but could be P rated car tire, which 40 psi may be near max?

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"1-I check the air before I start out and every time I stop and run 40psi of air"

Not sure I understand this. Are you saying you run 40 pai tire pressure?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 2012 Cedar Creek Silverback that I installed Bridgestone Duravis R250’s on and they were great.
Thanks for all the post, I feel better now knowing it happens to others too.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry about all the tire trouble. I have been towing trailers for over 60 years and can count my flats on one hand other than one trailer that blew out 9 in one summer. I got rid of that problem by selling the trailer. I have a 99 tri axle that I bought new and have had one tire separate and cut one down on a toll booth curb and it has been towed way over 100,000mi. It has 235-75-15 tires on it from Wal-Mart. 2 things I do that may help you all some. 1-I check the air before I start out and every time I stop and run 40psi of air and 2-I never tow the trailer when it is not level or very close. When the nose is up the back tires are carrying most of the weight and when it is down most of the weight is on the front. Some may not agree but this has worked for me for many years.