cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM-alama-dingdong 2.0

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
SPAM can be found in just about every truck stop, convenience store, gas station and so on. It's even available in the low sodium version. It also makes easy and simple meals for those away-cays on the road when you don't want to cook, clean too much, eat another tasteless fast food burger and so on.

I'm creating another SPAM thread (not because I like it which I do) but because one of the frequent questions in this category is for recipes for RVing. So for those who like to go winter camping and are getting ready to bug out here's some ideas for your SPAM cache. Feel free to add your own simple recipes.

SPAM Scramble Eggs

Diced SPAM is fried crispy and removed from the pan. Add a dash of butter or milk to the pan and heat. Stir in beaten eggs. As eggs begin to set, stir the diced SPAM back into the pan. When cooked to desired doneness serve it up.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
21 REPLIES 21

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
miltvill wrote:
I like to cut Span up into small pieces and fry it until it is crispy. Then add scrambled eggs to the pan. I also like to make Span sandwiches with mayo, tomato and lettuce.

Make Mac and Cheese. Then mix in small diced pieces of Spam and a few tablespoons of diced jalapeno peppers. You can get a jar of diced jalapeno peppers in the pickle section of the grocery store.

The Walmart brand of Span is also very good.

The Walmart brand isn't too shabby but I'm a die hard Original myself. The idea of the jalapeño peppers and SPAM in the M&C is a keeper.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I like to cut Span up into small pieces and fry it until it is crispy. Then add scrambled eggs to the pan. I also like to make Span sandwiches with mayo, tomato and lettuce.

Make Mac and Cheese. Then mix in small diced pieces of Spam and a few tablespoons of diced jalapeno peppers. You can get a jar of diced jalapeno peppers in the pickle section of the grocery store.

The Walmart brand of Span is also very good.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting recipe and article for SPAM stir-fry.
Epicurious wrote:
If you’ve ever fried a slice of Spam, you know that something magical happens when it hits a hot pan. The result is like bacon but not quite, fried bologna but not exactly. It’s cracklingly crisp on the outside but meaty in the middle, a delightful combination that’s impossible to replicate. I love Spam as the backbone of musubi or in a bowl of great fried rice, but hadn’t considered it as regular stir-fry material until cooking from my pantry became more of a priority. Salty and porky, it’s the perfect addition to a pan of vegetables and grains—thinly sliced or even torn into bite-sized pieces.
from Spam Is a Stir-Fry Secret Weapon

Magnus

Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeH wrote:
We were in Hawaii a few years ago and was amazed at the amount and variety of flavors of SPAM on the shelves in the supermarkets.
While watching the LLWS last month many of the Hawaiian boys, whom out powered every other team, said their favorite dish was Spam something. I don't recall what that something was but it must be a hit with the kids.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeH wrote:
We were in Hawaii a few years ago and was amazed at the amount and variety of flavors of SPAM on the shelves in the supermarkets.

While there you have to try Loco-Moco a Great breakfast!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Most/All the recipes i see here reference Fried Spam, which is actually the only way I like spam.
As for all those that diss on spam, i'll bet they wolf down hot dogs & bologna, if they've ever been to a hot dog or bologna factory, they'd go screaming into the night.

Any kind of inexpensive luncheon meats are mechanically separated products. Chicken nuggets also fall into this category.

Mechanically separated chicken is made from fresh chicken shells, skinless necks, and backs from USDA inspected facilities. It has a fine homogenized paste like texture.

SPAM is no different from any other sausage/forcemeat.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
SPAM has become appreciated by the upscale Saveur food magazine. Here is Saveur's SPAM and Cheese Sandwich.

Not too shabby.

Magnus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
Most/All the recipes i see here reference Fried Spam, which is actually the only way I like spam.

Yep. Those of us who had SPAM in war zones ate it fried when the unit's mess was allowed to cook. It was the only safe source of protein that was portable and beat the C rations by a mile. It kept us from starvation.

The mess hall made a version SOS made with SPAM when bacon, sausage, dried beef, or burgers wasn't available:

-Cube SPAM and fry with onions (if you have them).
-Add a Tbsp of flour to the pan drippings and cook until tan in color.
-Slowly add evaporated milk while blending to avoid lumps.
-When the gravy is thickened to your preference serve it on top of toast.

1995brave wrote:
I like Spam and Tofu over rice. Take the Spam and Tofu and slice them thin, fry them and serve over rice.
Spam and Tofu soup. Cube Spam, Tofu, potatoes, and carrots. Boil them up with spices of choice and serve in a bowl with rice.

I hadn't thought of tofu but yeah that would work.

When traveling I notice you can usually find milk, bread, SPAM, jerky, and occasionally bacon in the convenience stores of gas stations.

Magnus

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like Spam and Tofu over rice. Take the Spam and Tofu and slice them thin, fry them and serve over rice.
Spam and Tofu soup. Cube Spam, Tofu, potatoes, and carrots. Boil them up with spices of choice and serve in a bowl with rice.

You haven't lived until you've see Monty Pythons Spam skit...

Monty Python Spam
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
As for all those that diss on spam, i'll bet they wolf down hot dogs & bologna, if they've ever been to a hot dog or bologna factory, they'd go screaming into the night.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
dhull wrote:
Whew I thought you were putting a slice of spam between 2 hostess ding dongs.

There's an idea. I think I'll suggest to the grandsons learning how to cook on an open fire.:C

EVERYONE: Thanks to those of you who respected the spirit of this thread and posted recipes as requested. If you only post to snark, take it to another thread.

IAMICHABOD wrote:
One of my favorite things is the old stand by of biscuits and gravy,but with the Spam twist.

Starting with diced and fried Spam then mixing it with my Home Made Country Gravy then mixing in the Spam then ladling it over my biscuits.

I think that's my fave too. Fried extra crispy of course. Sometimes I'll put a small dollop of grape jelly on top for that sweet/salty kick.

There's a huge difference between being snarky and educating those that might not know of its issues, but those readers could also consult their Cardiologists for a second opinion. Happy travels to all!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dhull wrote:
Whew I thought you were putting a slice of spam between 2 hostess ding dongs.

There's an idea. I think I'll suggest to the grandsons learning how to cook on an open fire.:C

EVERYONE: Thanks to those of you who respected the spirit of this thread and posted recipes as requested. If you only post to snark, take it to another thread.

IAMICHABOD wrote:
One of my favorite things is the old stand by of biscuits and gravy,but with the Spam twist.

Starting with diced and fried Spam then mixing it with my Home Made Country Gravy then mixing in the Spam then ladling it over my biscuits.

I think that's my fave too. Fried extra crispy of course. Sometimes I'll put a small dollop of grape jelly on top for that sweet/salty kick.

Magnus