cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat Tow 2017 GMC Sierra 2x4

Mikejury
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 2x4 that I want to flat tow. In the past, I had a transmission cooling kit installed on Impala so as not to damage the transmission. I would stop and start the car every 200 miles or so.

I can't find anything online about doing this to the Sierra.

Has anyone installed a transmission cooling kit on Sierra to allow flat towing of a 2x4 vehicle?
3 REPLIES 3

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
look in the tucks manual under recreational towing.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
You likely had a transmission pump, not a cooler, on your front wheel drive Impala that allowed flat towing. Your Sierra is rear wheel drive, and I don't believe such a pump is available for your transmission. Your only options for flat towing would be driveshaft removal, or a driveshaft disconnect kit.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO you should start with GMโ€™s word on whether it can be towed four down. Be careful you get all the truckโ€™s data right. One source says โ€œIf you've got a GMC Sierra you need to tow, and only have a tow bar with which to do it, you'll be glad to hear that you can, indeed, tow a GMC Sierra. However, it's very important to note that you cannot flat tow a Sierra with two-wheel drive or a single-speed transfer case.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad