cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Maxxis tires

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sitting at Discount Tire waiting to have new Maxxis M8008 tires put on my '95 Sunnybrook 26DB. I put a new set on 9 years ago when we bought the trailer and they have been flawless for us. New tires aren't cheap! But I think I've pushed their age long enough.

My Dad and I are pulling it down to the Outer Banks of NC in October for some surf fishing. It's 5 hours each way. Didn't want to take any more chances.
27 REPLIES 27

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
facalton wrote:
Maxxis M8008 tire are speed rated to 65mph. I average between 60-65.

actually the last data I saw from Maxxis showed the speed rating could increase IF based on actual load you increased the tire pressure by Xpsi. What that meant is that for a higher speed rating Load capacity decreased.

Goodyear endurance are speed rated to IIRC 85mph w/o any derating.

Now I usually travel on secondary roads, 60-65 mph and enjoy the trip so speed rating is really a non issue for us.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I would ONLY run Goodyear Endurance tires
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
fallsrider wrote:
I'm sitting at Discount Tire waiting to have new Maxxis M8008 tires put on my '95 Sunnybrook 26DB. I put a new set on 9 years ago when we bought the trailer and they have been flawless for us. New tires aren't cheap! But I think I've pushed their age long enough.

My Dad and I are pulling it down to the Outer Banks of NC in October for some surf fishing. It's 5 hours each way. Didn't want to take any more chances.

Nine year old tires? I think you may have already took some chances
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

facalton
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis M8008 tire are speed rated to 65mph. I average between 60-65.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
At one time....4 or 5 years ago, Maxxis was the only tire made in China that actually was it's own company. Meaning the factory was staffed with Maxxis employees and managing their own tire manufacturing and quality control/inspections. The rest of the Chinese tires are essentially "box store" tires being branded to the purchasers logo....and recall I said this is info I read some time back, I believe in Trailer Life Magazine. Not sure if it is this way today. I've also read good things about Hercules Tires, but I've not purchased any. I currently am running Goodyear Endurance with zero issues and I think I have about 20,000 miles on these. If I was going another direction other than GoodYear, it'd be Maxxis.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
I have used all manner of Chinese tires. The trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. I have pulled from Utah to the East Coast and back without a single issue. I have had no troubles with any Chinese tires I have used. I have used at LEAST 4 DIFFERENT BRANDS. I ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE NYLON CAP. I DON'T CURB HOP, RUN OVER 65 MPH, DO TIGHT TURNS, AND ALWAYS CHECK MY INFLATION.

According to some I am so lucky I should buy a lottery ticket! I suspect it just common sense.

The last tries were Greenball @ $68.00/each plus install.
From 2006 to 2021, I did all of those bad things and more to my TTs tires without a single issue.
Since I am in Phoenix AZ, which is brutal on rubber, I do not push the age. I get new tires every 5 years... Other than that, my secret??? I ran LT tires. Michelin XPS RIBS. I abused the snot out of them and they took it in stride.
Go with LTs and stop making excuses for your tires.

Reading comprehension….
A. He’s not making excuses, unless you mean making excuses for how WELL his tire have held up.
B. LT tires for 14” trailer rims? You’re way off base here. Even if 15”. LT tires don’t become viable, readily available or available at all until the 16” and up sizes.
No reading comprehension trouble here.
He was shouting about all the things he did not do as the reason he had no problems, and then took it further with the common sense remark.

I see this here all the time. RVers have tire anxiety.
They think they have to check the pressures daily, and do everything but rub baby oil on them with a Rabbis blessing.
They do not do these things with their automobile tires. They just trust that they will do their job... And due to the fact that Govt. testing standards are much more stringent for Automobile tires,, they generally do.

As for the rim size. That can be changed. In 2006 at the end of my rope with ST tire failures, I decided to do what it would take to make the jump to LTs. New rims, 6 lug drums and better springs for more clearance is what it took for that TT. My next TT was a straight swap.
But that 2001 TT needed all of the above. It was not cheap or easy, but it was effective. In fact I swapped the used michelins from my 2001 to the 2010 When I bought it. The purchaser of my 2001 was real happy to have new tires. I was happy they made it home on the new TT, and happier to be rid of them. I ran those used Michelins on the new TT for a year until they aged out at 5 years. I then sold them on CL for 300.00!
that helped defray to cost of a new set of Michelins.
When thinking about the cost and effort to do this.... Think about the thousands of $$$$ in damage and ruined vacations failures can cause.
Good tires are expensive. Cheap tires are even more expensive.

One doesn't have to have TT tire anxiety. There are ways to get good tires that are as reliable as automobile tires.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ktmrfs wrote:
I've run 3 sets of Maxxis tires on two different trailers, getting 25K or so miles/set before either tread wear (usually) or date came due for replacement. Did have one get a nail puncture, which the TPMS caught WELL before pressure dropped enough to result in tire failure. Other than that never any problems. But then the Towmax OEM tires on our Outback went 20K miles w/o any problems either.

The current sets on both my trailers are the Goodyear endurance. Endurance is one of the few ST tires with a >65mph speed rating w/o capacity derating, (85mph speed rating full rated load) and price wise were actually a few $$ less than Maxxis. Sof far I've only had the Goodyears for two years and one set has about 6K miles, the other 2K miles so can't verify reliability.

It’s actually the other way around. Even most all of the maypop china bombs are rated for higher than 65mph.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

facalton
Explorer
Explorer
Been running Maxxis 8008's for 15 years. Never a problem. BUT, I never run them over 5 years. Any trailer tire over 5 years old is putting you at risk.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
I have used all manner of Chinese tires. The trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. I have pulled from Utah to the East Coast and back without a single issue. I have had no troubles with any Chinese tires I have used. I have used at LEAST 4 DIFFERENT BRANDS. I ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE NYLON CAP. I DON'T CURB HOP, RUN OVER 65 MPH, DO TIGHT TURNS, AND ALWAYS CHECK MY INFLATION.

According to some I am so lucky I should buy a lottery ticket! I suspect it just common sense.

From 2006 to 2021, I did all of those bad things and more to my TTs tires without a single issue.
Since I am in Phoenix AZ, which is brutal on rubber, I do not push the age. I get new tires every 5 years... Other than that, my secret??? I ran LT tires. Michelin XPS RIBS. I abused the snot out of them and they took it in stride.

Reading comprehension….
A. He’s not making excuses, unless you mean making excuses for how WELL his tire have held up.
B. LT tires for 14” trailer rims? You’re way off base here. Even if 15”. LT tires don’t become viable, readily available or available at all until the 16” and up sizes.

Agree on LT tires.
Last I looked I could find NO 15" LT tires with a load rating that would handle my trailer. 16" no problem, lots available, but not in 15" unless your only needing a LR C ST tire.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've run 3 sets of Maxxis tires on two different trailers, getting 25K or so miles/set before either tread wear (usually) or date came due for replacement. Did have one get a nail puncture, which the TPMS caught WELL before pressure dropped enough to result in tire failure. Other than that never any problems. But then the Towmax OEM tires on our Outback went 20K miles w/o any problems either.

The current sets on both my trailers are the Goodyear endurance. Endurance is one of the few ST tires with a >65mph speed rating w/o capacity derating, (85mph speed rating full rated load) and price wise were actually a few $$ less than Maxxis. Sof far I've only had the Goodyears for two years and one set has about 6K miles, the other 2K miles so can't verify reliability.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mosseater wrote:
on my 3rd set in 15 years. Date code always runs out before the tread, but haven't had an issue with them yet other that rot/cracking between the tread rows when date runs out.

As far as I know, they are rated for 65 mph but I see a lot of people towing far above that. Courting disaster, IMO.

Do you and the others actually realize that the vast majority of light duty ST tires, in all sizes are rated for higher than 65mph now? Have been for years.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
on my 3rd set in 15 years. Date code always runs out before the tread, but haven't had an issue with them yet other that rot/cracking between the tread rows when date runs out.

As far as I know, they are rated for 65 mph but I see a lot of people towing far above that. Courting disaster, IMO.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:

Reading comprehension….

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW