cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold on Inverter

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I am concerned about running my Norcold 1200 refer on the onboard inverter. 2007 Winnebago Voyage. I believe the inverter is 600 watts and the refer draws 2.9 amps on 110, or about 330 watts. This way I could run the refer driving with the gas off. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
BigDaddy1951 wrote:
I was taking the NRVTA home study course and they recommended leaving the propane off for safety.

Took the same course and yes they do. HOWEVER imagine this.

I took the course at an FMCA rally where the rigs were packed in like sardines as they say.. So I'm sitting there and the fridge decides to FLAME on. My 100,000 dollar rig is destroyed but by the time the FD gets there the half million rig beside me is burning and the million dollar rig on the other side...

Or I drive down the road and it flames on and other drivers see the smoke and fire and stay clear.

I think the Insurance companies are ...ing themselves on this one.

Norcold has a nice little overheat detector that causes folks headaches (you need a strong magnet in your tool kit)

Dometic has one as well but it's push to reset.

Have not heard of many Fridge fires in the last decade adn the one I did hear about recently was a 2004.. I ask if the recall (installing the over heat detectors) had been done...... No reply.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigDaddy1951 wrote:
I was taking the NRVTA home study course and they recommended leaving the propane off for safety.
If there was any real safety issue the propane would be disabled when the MH was put in gear.

If anything I worry more for sleeping than driving.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigDaddy1951 wrote:
Yeah, I have used it and left the propane on many times. I was taking the NRVTA home study course and they recommended leaving the propane off for safety. That was right after the part on converters and inverters. It got me thinking, which may or may not be a good thing, LOL. Thanks for the response!

In my opinion, they HAVE to say that since they are offering "training".

In a previous life I had hauled the stuff for several years, and I travel with mine on.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My backyard experiment suggested 20 minutes on followed by 40 minutes off. I'm still on the oem alternator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My concern is this Can the engine alternator keep up with about a 40 amp draw on your batteries?

Mine could not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed a 1000 watt inverter to run my refer off my 2 6v GC batteries years ago. It will work but the only problem it puts a lot of strain on your alternator as Wolf said. After several trips running the refer on battery power I burned out my alternator. Think about stopping for gas or lunch or being stuck in traffic and the alternator working overtime to replenish the battery bank. To me it is not worth it for the small amount of propane saved.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have run my fridge on my 300 watt inverter a couple times in a pinch when the propane burner would not light.
No issues.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Why not just run the fridge on propane? As you have apparently been doing without issue.

YUP.

I sure would not work my engine/alternator harder to provide electricity vs just leaving it on propane (as designed).

Is propane operation safe-- yes. Certainly more risk of vehicle accident than fire while driving due to propane use in refrigerator. But, YOU weigh the risks for yourself.

Yes, the refrigerator operating on propane needs to be turned off when refueling and tunnels where its use is restricted.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just run the fridge on propane? As you have apparently been doing without issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d be more concerned about that POS catching fire
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Why not run your generator? This way you will have the frig on plus you can run the ac to keep coach cool.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BigDaddy1951 wrote:
I just wondered if anyone had done this. Donโ€™t want to mess up my old rig!!

I've done it many times.

The inverter may draw about 30 amps@ 12 volts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I have used it and left the propane on many times. I was taking the NRVTA home study course and they recommended leaving the propane off for safety. That was right after the part on converters and inverters. It got me thinking, which may or may not be a good thing, LOL. Thanks for the response!

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well , I know a few folks that donโ€™t but I know many more that just leave the gas on. Most gas refrigerators are plugged into a non inverted outlet. ( except for the ice maker ) . Most that run without propane on just leave the fridge off. Be sure to change it to the inverted circuit if there is one , if thatโ€™s what you decide to do.
Bill