Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my water pump stop pumping?

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
On the way to our campsite, we used the pump several times.
Got all set up and turned on the pump and it runs but won’t pump.

All fittingsare tight, tank is full but no water is pumping.

Could it have lost its prime?

Thanks

TD
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30
29 REPLIES 29

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possibly an air leak on the low pressure side of the pump.

Loosen & retighten fittings at filter, if present, & tank side of pump. Check filter while at it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
I pleased to report that my pump is now cycling normally.

WHAT THE HECK???

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
So, I filled the FW tank when I got home and turned on the pump and let it run with the sink faucet on.

It took a couple of minutes but sure enough, it starting spitting water and air. I turned every sink, shower and activated the flush valve until all stopped sputtering.

Strange thing was, the pump never completely shut off. It slowed to a VERY slow “idle” but kept turning. Then, it stopped completely and now won’t come back on. I think I toasted it but haven’t checked the fuse yet.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Pump

Pump location

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
MSchu wrote:
On my shurflo 4008 pump the problem was a stuck pressure valve under the diaphragm. There was a You tube video on how to fix it by a channel by the name "Why Wait"

Yes, someone posted that link and I believe that’s the only thing that could have happened.

It’s going to be one heck of a challenge to get the pump out but it’s got to be done.

I’ll update my findings when it’s working again.

Thanks for all the replies!

TD

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
On my shurflo 4008 pump the problem was a stuck pressure valve under the diaphragm. There was a You tube video on how to fix it by a channel by the name "Why Wait"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Recently we had the same thing happen. I looked everywhere. Finally, digging around under the sink (where the pump is) I noticed the wife had stuffed a cleanser bottle into a corner, which happened to be where the water line came from the tank. The line was pinched just a little bit. When I removed that bottle, the water started flowing.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a water filter? Possible under the sink? I just changed mine this evening while filling the fresh tank up and had a heck of a time getting all the air bled even though I prefilled the filter and bled the water heater.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Go a step beyond just turning on the faucet. Unscrew the aerator out of the end of the faucet. Turn the faucet on and and let the pump run.
^ Definitely try this! We just had this happen a couple weeks ago and I thought the pump was broken - it was the aerator that was somehow broken (it was a swivel one). Water flowed nicely when I unscrewed it.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:
Is there a valve in the wrong position (or not quite all the way in the correct position)?

Drain valve? Winterizing valve? Bypass valve? Water heater valves?

Nope. We stopped and used the pump on the way to our campsite.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a valve in the wrong position (or not quite all the way in the correct position)?

Drain valve? Winterizing valve? Bypass valve? Water heater valves?

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Yup if you have plenty of water and there is a crack in the inlet side of the pump or the hose feeding it.. It can suck air once the water level drops below the level of the pump.. Many forget to empty the inlet strainer in the fall.

There may be a shut off valve.
The outlet strainer on the tank can clog (inlet strainers almost never clog because they are secondary to the outlet but .. it's not impossible)

Pump can fail in assorted ways.

And last... Did you VISUALLY verify water in the tank or trust the @Q#$#@ sensor panel?

Just pulled the dump valve on the FW tank. PLENTY of water coming out. I’m draining it for the trip tomorrow.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the photos. They are only on my phone.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Pumps have limited lifespan…like us.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad