cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Raising Trailer

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
During replacing brake assemblies on all four wheels, I used, for the first time, a Trailer Aid ramp to raise a wheel on each side to replace the assembly and tweak the star wheel to get the right amount of "brake drag". As I only have one ramp, I had to raise/lower four times.

The trailer was attached to the truck hitch during this process.

The use of this ramp worked perfectly when the ramp was under the front wheels as the rear wheels raised off the ground by a couple inches.

However, when I put the ramp under the rear wheels, the front wheels would not raise off the ground, even when I laid a 2 x 6 under the ramp. I had to then use my garage jack to place under the front wheel's spring u-bolt and raise it enough to just get the tire off the ground.

Using the jack, though, is extremely tight and I had to really, push/pull it to get it under the u-bolt (the lowest the jack will go is 4 inches),

And when jacking the trailer in the conventional method (under the frame on one side), it really becomes dicey as the trailer is precariously balanced and moves quite a bit, so I quite like the Trailer Aid, when it works. I was also hoping it would be useful when/if changing a flat tire and would be easy to carry along.

Dexter suggests driving the trailer for a couple hundred miles, then re-doing the "brake drag". The only time I can do this is during a trip (leaving in a couple days), and I really do not want to take this jack with us as it weighs a ton.

The Trailer Aid is 6", with 2 x 6, 6 1/2". I also have a couple ramps that I used to use when doing truck oil changes and they are 10".

So, is 10 inches too high to use in place of the Trailer Aid (that would be only one wheel raised 10 inches)? I presume the Trailer Aid is set at 6" for some reason(s).

Marv
5 REPLIES 5

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
If it was me I would consider the brakes adjusted and go on vacation. When you get home you can check the adjustment again.

Iโ€™ll second that. Makes no sense. Nothing will magically shrink or stretchโ€ฆwithout receiving some noticeable wear.

Often new shoes do not match drums real well. It does not take a lot of stopping to wear the high spots enough to get brakes out of adjustment.
For tire change, what do you use to level when camped? Put your magic tool on those boards. (Keep trying at home so don't need schooling on side of road)

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the replies. Some good advice and well accepted.

I'd still like to be able to use the Trailer Aid, in the event of flat tire, so perhaps I will try a second 2 x 6.

And the main reason I was thinking about re-adjusting the brakes enroute is our trip will be to/from Vancouver, BC and Denver, Co, with side trips along the way. Much driving and a lot of up/down hills. That, and trying to follow Dexter's advice.

Marv

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
If it was me I would consider the brakes adjusted and go on vacation. When you get home you can check the adjustment again.

Iโ€™ll second that. Makes no sense. Nothing will magically shrink or stretchโ€ฆwithout receiving some noticeable wear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is you will run into problems with the steepness of your 10 inch ramps. Pushing a trailer up that steep ramp may cause the ramp to slide. Especially if you are on a hard surface. Add another 2 x 6. Use different lengths. It can be only a few inches so the tire steps up one before getting to the other. That extra 1 1/2 inches might get you what you need.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup