cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Compressor refrigerator opinons

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are trading up from our trusty old 2004 Rockwood 1940LTD popup to a 2022 Wolf Pup 14CC. We're pretty excited, we went the the Cleveland RV show last weekend after browsing a bunch of small travel trailers, and we fell in love with this Wolf Pup. Got a good deal and a deposit on it, and the dealer called to say we can pick it up next weekend. I'll miss my old popup since it was my first camper and I've made a lot of improvements in it. I won't miss the set up and take down, and we won't miss the mad dash to the bath house when nature calls in the early AM.

I saw that it has a 12 volt compressor refrigerator (and a freezer!), are they good? I'm inclined to think they'll cool off a little faster than the absorption fridge, just wondering if there have been any teething difficulties since they seem to be a relatively new thing compared to the tried but true absorption refrigerators.
23 REPLIES 23

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I think the reason you are seeing a shift is because solar systems have come down so much in cost.
That price drop may be illusory. In August of 2021 I bought a solar panel for my Airstream. (Airstream's design requires a specific panel size to fit on the roof.) At that time, I paid $290 for it. This week I priced THE SAME PANEL FROM THE SAME COMPANY at $490 each. Oof.

Is that the 90-watt panel? If so, then oof indeed. Even $290 seems kind of high.

But if it's a specialty product, there's not much you can do.

As a "past-times" data point: Seventeen years ago (in 2005), the 175-watt solar panels I bought were $675 each. I bought more a little less than a year later, and they had gone up to $825 each. Ouch. I decided to just enjoy the fact that I had an appreciating asset on my RV.

Sionel09
Explorer
Explorer
12 volt compressors are definitely becoming more popular in small travel trailers. I think they do tend to cool off faster than absorption refrigerators, but I haven't heard of any major teething difficulties. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new camper!

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
sparky, hope I found the right floor plan. Is the entrance at the back end of the camper? Like it! Split bathroom with john privacy, great! What cu. foot frig is it? You are going to love it, but the feel of towing will be different after towing the popup so long. You'll get use to it. Don't ask me how I know.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
With ample batteries and solar recharging, youโ€™ll be in great shape. Congratulations on the new rig.

^^^ This ^^^

Sionel09
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, 12 volt compressors are becoming more popular in small travel trailers. They have a few advantages over absorption refrigerators, such as being able to cool down faster and being more energy efficient. However, there have been some teething problems reported with them, such as noise level and durability. If you're considering a 12 volt compressor refrigerator, make sure to do your research to see if it's the right choice for you.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Anything airstream has an inflated price, so not really a good example but even $490 is much cheaper than you would have paid 10-15yrs ago.

Not bought (nor priced) from Airstream. This was HTTP://AMSOLAR.COM but made by Zamp to fit an Airstream.

Yeah, but if they know it's for an airstream, they know they can inflate the price.

But again, that's still dirt cheap compared to 20-30yrs ago for a solar system.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend had a Truckmate installed when he bought his brand new '99 Pete. Truck and fridge 12 YO, and well over a million miles on it when he parked in a Dallas area truckstop, in Aug. He had to catch the bird home. The truck had been there for 4 days when I got there to deliver the load. I knew he only had the same starting batteries I had, so I was planning on jumpstart. When the Cat fired up, I knew the fridge must of shut down. Grabbed a trash bag to clean it out. Opened it up, stole a fudge bar, and pulled out.
I don't know much about the power demands, but there is no shade in a truckstop, if the fridge can work on starting batteries under that condition I can't see where RV with solar would have problems.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am open to other venders if you have one to suggest.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ridiculous pricing at Amsolar.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I think the reason you are seeing a shift is because solar systems have come down so much in cost.

That price drop may be illusory. In August of 2021 I bought a solar panel for my Airstream. (Airstream's design requires a specific panel size to fit on the roof.) At that time, I paid $290 for it. This week I priced THE SAME PANEL FROM THE SAME COMPANY at $490 each. Oof.

Anything airstream has an inflated price, so not really a good example but even $490 is much cheaper than you would have paid 10-15yrs ago.

Not bought (nor priced) from Airstream. This was HTTP://AMSOLAR.COM but made by Zamp to fit an Airstream.
Bobbo and Lin

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Bobbo and Lin

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Skibane wrote:
Basically, you're trading one set of compromises for another set.

You gain faster cool-down and better hot weather cooling performance.

You lose the ability to boondock in shaded campsites or rainy weather without running a generator to keep your food from spoiling.

Cost considerations:
1. Cost of 12V compressor fridge
2. Cost of extra solar panels to run it
3. Cost of extra batteries to run it
4. Cost of generator and battery charger to keep it running under sunless conditions

There's also a convenience consideration: Whenever sunlight isn't available, you have to set aside some time to run the generator - You can't just leave it running unattended.

20yrs ago a solar system that would handle a 12v fridge might have cost $800-1000 just in parts and realistically would have required a permanent installation that could add a few hundred more. Now you can get the parts for $200-300. If you don't want to do a permanent install, portable solar panels are easily obtained (which also negates a lot of the shading issues).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically, you're trading one set of compromises for another set.

You gain faster cool-down and better hot weather cooling performance.

You lose the ability to boondock in shaded campsites or rainy weather without running a generator to keep your food from spoiling.

Cost considerations:
1. Cost of 12V compressor fridge
2. Cost of extra solar panels to run it
3. Cost of extra batteries to run it
4. Cost of generator and battery charger to keep it running under sunless conditions

There's also a convenience consideration: Whenever sunlight isn't available, you have to set aside some time to run the generator - You can't just leave it running unattended.