cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handling home office equipment - hanging files

Railronnie
Explorer
Explorer
We are spending several months at a time in our RV. I have tried numerous ways of keeping personal files. My hanging files jump off the rails while traveling and fall down into any file drawer, file box or file container I have tried. Anyone have a hack for keeping the files ON THE RAILS? I have seen hacks with clips to keep them from sliding, but I want them to STAY ON THE RAILS. Any ideas???
12 REPLIES 12

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I was never a fan of the hanging files. We were landlords the 17 years we fulltimed and I needed file space. We had opposing couches in our Phaeton, so we had one removed and put in two recliners, then had a custom file box built by an Amishman in Nappannee to place between them. It had full extension drawers. Plenty of room for all the files I needed and nothing ever moved that was inside. We had it made with two tops using a piano hinge. So when I needed a desk, the recliner was pulled out and I turned my kitchen chair around, flopped open the top and had a desk where I could work and not take up table space. Great setup.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
Railronnie wrote:
We are spending several months at a time in our RV. I have tried numerous ways of keeping personal files. My hanging files jump off the rails while traveling and fall down into any file drawer, file box or file container I have tried. Anyone have a hack for keeping the files ON THE RAILS? I have seen hacks with clips to keep them from sliding, but I want them to STAY ON THE RAILS. Any ideas???

In all seriousness, go paperless. No need for any papers to reference. I have papers that I file away for records (mostly just taxes, but even most of that is digital), but I don't have any papers that I need to reference, it's all digital.
Lee

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
We use something like this and it keeps the hanging files in place very well during travel:

Hanging file box

If you have a lot of files, you may need several.

Rob

Good idea. That's what we use. But buy it from Target, not Amazon. About 30% cheaper. (Yeah, we learned long ago that Amazon rarely offers the best deal).
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to use the little skinny bungee cords to keep the files on the hangers in file cabinets when moving. I used one pair of cords over each end of the metal frame.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a file box like the one referenced above which has a lid, I would think folding a towel and laying it between the lid and folders would keep the files in place.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have a single draw file cabinet for items that can't be paperless. Packing it full seems to work OK.

But as others have said, unless you really need a physical piece of paper (say a truck title or such), avoid it. Non-critical paperwork (receipts, utilities, etc...) we take a picture and save it to a portable hard drive (we do back up the hard drive periodically also).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I started as a full timer, one of the first steps was to go as nearly paperless as possible. I even bought a small wand style handheld scanner so I could convert any paper files I received to electronic while travelling. My few paper files were stored in interoffice memo envelopes.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I had to move such a box several times. The first time, folders did jump off the rails. Then I packed the top with several layers of bubble wrap and even the box that fell upside down stayed engaged.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use something like this and it keeps the hanging files in place very well during travel:

Hanging file box

If you have a lot of files, you may need several.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Trying to think outside the box. Since the hangers have to lift up you need to find a way to prevent them from lifting too high.

My first thought is maybe an appropriately sized piece of plywood that lays flat across the top of the files and fill the gap. When the drawer is closed the files can't jump up to unhook. When the drawer is open just remove and set the piece of plywood on the floor to get it out of the way. Thinking further the plywood probably doesn't even have to be thick enough to fill the gap between the hooks and the top of the cabinet. The weight of the wood alone might be enough to keep the hooks in place.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Load a hanger-box (like a Bankers Box) with your files, then stand it on end. Put the lid on!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
The back of our C bounces a lot, even when overloaded. Maybe you can keep the file cabinet in the truck. I've found banker boxes to be a better option, but really going (more) paperless has been the most convenient.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.