cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery charging question.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used mobility chair for M'lady, it runs well, but will not charge from the plug on the column. Fuses are good and I dont have time to sit and troubleshoot right now.
It is powered by 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries wired in series.
I have tried charging the batteries individually and they accept a charge, and stickers show them to only be a year old. Rather than fight the entire issue now, I was thinking I could connect a small charger to one battery at a time,,,,,,, or maybe just one period.
If I slow charge one battery from a pair wired in series, will the other also be charged over time? Or must I set up individual charge points for both? It only gets used once every couple of weeks, so I thought maybe I could have one slowly charge the other?
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the charger is known to be good.. I will say again.> Many of these scooters the battery assembly has a 2nd charge port (That way if you have two batteries you can charge one while using the other).. Try the charge port ON THE BATTERY.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Have charged them separately, was wondering if charging just one would cause a slow equalization with the other.
The charger is good, I have 2, I may make a second plug rather than tearing the scooter apart.
Thanks for answering the charge one question.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're using a 12 volt charger, you'll need to charge them one at a time.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Folks here is what I read
Charge one (Of the two 12 volt batteries in series) Then the other.

Or you could remove them re-wire in parallel and charge 'em both together. then re-wire in series to operate (Did that in fact).

You said "but will not charge from the plug on the column."

Which column? If you mean the park's 20 amp outlet.. Might be disconnected inside the box (Use a 3-light tester to insure it has power) (you should be using one of those on the RV every time you plug in).

If there is a socket on the control column on the scooter that you are supposed to plug into.. Check to see if there is also a socket on the battery box.

You might also want to volt-meter the charger (50 volt range on the meter if you choose or auto-range if it does that).

Possible the charger is kaput.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Charging one of a series pair will never charge the other at all.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You canโ€™t hook to โ€œ1 batteryโ€ if theyโ€™re in series.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

There are 24 volt chargers available.

Since the batteries are in series, two 12 volt chargers would be needed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.