cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing hitch for new trailer

Jack1776
Explorer
Explorer
Purchasng a used coachman 2021 spirit northern ultra lite 1943Rb. Its about 24 feet weighting about 4900lbs with a hitch weight of 520lbs. Will be towing w/ a 2020 ford F-150 w/ the small eco engine and a tow capacity of 7300lbs. I am 76 years old and looking for hitch that is capable but hopefully easy to hook up. Thank You
17 REPLIES 17

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
TenOC wrote:
Get a Hensley Arrow or a Pro-Pride. Each cost a few $$. I purchased mine used on eBay. IMO it should be against the law to sell a TT without one of these hitches. ... :B .... :B.

NO MORE TAIL SWAY. I once had a wheel come off my TT while driving 75 MPH and did not know it until a car passed me and wave me down to pull over. The Arrow probably saved my life.

Search the posting to see other comments. I am 85 and not problem hooking up. A few tricks to learn. Most important is do NOT turn you steering wheel the last 5 feet when you back up to the hitch.

Not that they are a bad hitch (they do have some quirks making them a bit of a pain to hook up) but It's not a "few $$" it's a LOT of $$$$.

Really, if you are having sway issues, fix what's wrong and don't put a bandaid on it. We have a run of the mill WDH (Blue Ox), and we've been in the mountains in 40mph cross winds without sway. A few times, the entire rig, truck & trailer, got pushed over 6ft but no sway. Biggest thing is to get a suitable tongue weight. We are a bit north of 13%.

Unless you find a used one cheap, I wouldn't muck about with them. Just get a regular WDH and make sure you set it up properly and get the hitch weight up at least in the 12-15% range (more is better but odds are it will push you over the trucks payload limit).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I found that I don't need an equalizer or sway control with my F350 pulling an Airstream 28ft. trailer. I suggest pulling the trailer without those add-ons before you buy them to see if you need them. I believe those items are over-sold and many people have fallen for the marketing hype that doesn't need them. Remember they are high-profit items for dealers.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want to hijack this so I started my own similar thread in Towing. Please check it out and offer opinions.:@

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No argument on the hitch ratings, save for, there isnโ€™t even a remote chance that the OPs trailer will actually overload the receiver or any other part of that truck. With or without a wdh.
Although the springs will be a little soft with full tongue weight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
I wouldnโ€™t advise that - the tongue weight is likely to exceed the rating of the hitch w/o a WDH.

:R

Per Fords 2020 F150 Towing guide..

HERE

Click For Full-Size Image.

Even IF the TW exceeds 500 lbs by a small amount, it isn't going to be damaged, ripped off or fall off on a "one off" trip with the trailer empty.

For yrs I used a F250 with hitch rated 7,500/750 lbs to pull my 7,500 lb GVWR trailer without WD, that trailer had a TW of 825 lbs while I was towing.. Even after 10 yrs of that and 20K+ miles towing the receiver had not bent, no cracks or tears at the welds or damage happened.

There is a reason I don't bother looking at the "Towing" section of the forum.

You guys are scared of your own shadows..

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wouldnโ€™t advise that - the tongue weight is likely to exceed the rating of the hitch w/o a WDH.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d add, Grit, that OPโ€™s TV needs to be level. Get the bags or springs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jack1776 wrote:
Purchasng a used coachman 2021 spirit northern ultra lite 1943Rb. Its about 24 feet weighting about 4900lbs with a hitch weight of 520lbs. Will be towing w/ a 2020 ford F-150 w/ the small eco engine and a tow capacity of 7300lbs. I am 76 years old and looking for hitch that is capable but hopefully easy to hook up. Thank You

Once you receive it and take a test tow, naked (no wdh and sway, just drop 'er on the ball and go), if it is stable, which it likely will be, then there is no need for a wdh, at all.
Tow it like any normal bumper pull trailer, and get airbags or sumo springs or any number of simple rear suspension aides if you think it's squatted a little too much.

Easiest and cheapest setup there is. Don't overcomplicate it and don't drink the wdh koolaid unless it's necessary.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10000 gvwr car hauler carrying a 7000 lb blue tractor/implements. Trailer axles scales 8840-9260 lbs depending on which implement is on the tractor.

I some times pull it with the wifes '16 1500 chevy 4wd 5.3 engine 6 speed tranny short bed.
I use a Husky Centerline TS with 1200 lb bars as the tractor has a cab and makes a top heavy load above the trailer deck. No more trailer over steer on sudden lane changes or curvy state/county roads.
I'm 80+ and have no problems installing/removing the hitch minus the bars. Its a friction style hitch and can groan a bit if the L brackets are rusty where the bars slide. After the first couple of turns no more noise.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
A reasonable going camping weight for this TT might be around 6,000 lbs. That would indicate a tongue weight of 600- 900 lbs. 700-800 would be reasonable. An Equal-i-zer 10,000 - 1,000 should serve very well. The hitch head is heavy.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"weighing about 4900lbs with a hitch weight of 520lbs."

That's just a spec over 10% and too light IMO. Shoot for 13 to 14% of the loaded weight of the TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t have one but it seems the lightest and easiest to adjust is the Anderson.
I have a Husky Centerline TS and it works great but is sometimes noisy and heavy for me. And Iโ€™m a young whipper-snapper at 67!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
Those weights are all empty weights - pretty useless numbers and should not be used for determining an appropriate tow vehicle or hitch. The GVWR of that trailer (fully loaded) is 6,500 lbs. which will yield a tongue weight around 780 lbs.

Rob

X2!

Actually 6,500 lbs GVWR has the potential of 975 lbs at 15% of tongue weight when fully loaded..

780 lbs is only 12% of TW, the max towing stability is achieved when your TW is at 15% of the trailer weight.

Yes, the recommended TW range is 10% - 15% and 12% is in sort of in the middle, it is better to shoot for 15% than 12%.

Maxing out your TW to 15% is advisable.

Granted, most likely you will not get to the GVWR but one should always plan for it just in case you end up getting close to the GVWR..

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those weights are all empty weights - pretty useless numbers and should not be used for determining an appropriate tow vehicle or hitch. The GVWR of that trailer (fully loaded) is 6,500 lbs. which will yield a tongue weight around 780 lbs.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015