cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PSI when using higher load range tires.

TheOMB
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer had 4, D load range tires. From advice of many friends I've up graded to E load range. Just got a set of Good Year Endurance with max PSI of 80. Previous tires and trailer sticker says PSI 65.

Should I run 65, 80 or other PSI?

Visually the Load Range E look better at 80 PSI without a slight bulge.
Cheers
35 REPLIES 35

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Changed from d tires to e tires. Called makers of the rims, got told the rims are good for 80 psi. Got new tires and ran them at 80 psi, trailer did better on towing and just felt better.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bear in mind that the manufacturer has a strong incentive to provide you with the best and safest advice -- wrong advice leads to lawsuits!

So that is why I rely on the manufacturer on this issue -- not because I necessarily trust Goodyear, but because they are motivated to keep me safe.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mike134 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Being one of the many, I disagree with BB. Just like eTrailer disagrees with BB. โ€œI can end this debate for you real fast! Trailer tires, which will have an ST in front of the size, should always be inflated to the maximum psi indicated on the tire.โ€ See https://www.etrailer.com/question-78836.html

A tire retailer advising its customers very clearly.

It's very clear they are salesmen of unknown knowledge about tires.

Then again you could check with the manufacturer who just might know a bit more.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Mike, youโ€™re right. Widdis is out to lunch on this one.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So what exactly is your question? Sounds like you got 1000% more miles than 99% of everyone else and on your 3rd set of the same tires with hood success following many other before.
Iโ€™m confused.
But what I do know is for an estimated 9000lb tire load (tongue weight donโ€™t count) 65 psi is about 10psi over minimum for the load and just about right.
Never hurts the tires to go stiffer higher pressure than needed, thatโ€™s all about ride and handling.

TheOMB
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

The debate is partly because you haven't provided enough info for an accurate recommendation and based on this post, you and your grandfather are still not actually correct when it comes to tire load/pressure.
Combine that with the inconsistent and somewhat unrealistic other "info" you've provided....
-Never even said tire size. I've gleaned, maybe incorrectly that they're 15" 225-75s likely? If 16" then wouldn't have been LR D in my experience. Totally different tires and the 15s SHOULD be near 80psi if your loaded weight is right. 16s you could run about 20psi less and still have capacity.
- 1st post, just upgraded from LR Ds. Last post, on your 3rd set of LR E Endurance tires...a tire that's only even been available for about 4 years now. Which is it?

If you can't even be consistent with the info you provide, you surely can't get the right answer to your questions unless purely by chance.

And the fact that you allude to putting mega miles on your trailer (and your website supports that assumption on my part), it also seems like you're looking for a solution or answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Thanks for your observations .You are correct. I did not provide enough info for an absolute accurate recommendation. At 1st thought I did not think finding answer would be complicated. I figured an answer with in a margin of error would be apparent.

You've gleaned correctly that they're ST225/75/R15

Sorry to imply this was my 1st set of Good Year Endurance E load range tires, these are my 3rd and they are uprade from the original D load range. I also had a set or two of other E load range tires before the Endurance.

1st set I got was on 10/12/2017 and put about 27,000 miles on them.
- I remember my main tire guy said they were a new series and only found a few online reviews but all reviews were good.
- I had zero issues with this set.

2nd set was on 5/20/19 and I got about 32,000 miles out of them lasting thru August 2022
- They showed minumal wear but one blew on the inner wall. My TPMS caught the deflation and I was able to avoid damage to trailer.
- I was planning to change this second set in November at end of my season with trailer.

Tire installer on 1st two sets put in 65 PSI.

The inner tire wall blow out and max 80 PSI installer put in these new E load range tires (upgraded from original D load range) had me wondering about PSI.

My trailer weights:
7,782 lbs empty
3,241 lbs cargo
11,023 lbs GVWR

Last time I weighed trailer with load I was close to 10,000.

Again thank or replies.
Cheers

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
TheOMB wrote:
I learned sometime in my late 20's that my grandfather taught me wrong to air tires to PSI on tires. We air to the spec written on the door of auto... So that's what I've done with trailer but since I upgraded load range I wondered.
Your Grandfather was right for the times he lived. And he was just talking about car tires without changes to size or load range. Air pressure was far more important in the days of bias ply tires or even the early radials. Pressure would have a greater effect on ride and tire wear back in those days. Filling to sidewall max would give the car a harsh ride and wear the center tread significantly faster.

Today's modern radial is far better at holding the tread flat with steel belts and the sidewalls don't stiffen as much with a few extra pounds. I prefer the handling and firmer ride with a bit more pressure and have no tread wear issues.

Trailer tires (ST) tend to recommend max pressure in most conditions. Only time to air down to the pressure chart would be to resolve a handling or ride issue. This is different than what is done with car tires. Fully inflated will give the maximum load rating and probably a small increase in economy.

The tire world has changed some since Grandpa's day.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Being one of the many, I disagree with BB. Just like eTrailer disagrees with BB. โ€œI can end this debate for you real fast! Trailer tires, which will have an ST in front of the size, should always be inflated to the maximum psi indicated on the tire.โ€ See https://www.etrailer.com/question-78836.html

A tire retailer advising its customers very clearly.

It's very clear they are salesmen of unknown knowledge about tires.

Then again you could check with the manufacturer who just might know a bit more.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TheOMB wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I've been busy working and just drove from Nebraska to Maryland with my truck and travel trailer with 10,000 to 11,000 pounds loaded.

I decided to run 70 PSI cold and the ride seems better than at 65 PSI cold.

I did some research based on all the comments.

My wondering about PSI was sparked by the tire installer putting 80 PSI in the 3rd set of Goodyear Endurance E load range tires I've put on my trailer.

Without research I would have just deflated to 65 PSI cold like I've done with every tire I've had on the trailer since 2014. I learned sometime in my late 20's that my grandfather taught me wrong to air tires to PSI on tires. We air to the spec written on the door of auto... So that's what I've done with trailer but since I upgraded load range I wondered.

I found my rims could handle 80 PSI if needed.

The valve stem I could not figure out PSI but there likely good to 80 PSI. Every Valve Stem spec chart I read showed if stem could handle 65, it could also handle 80.

So... based on what Goodyear specs are, my likely weight and a few other things I've tried 70. For my next jump I'll try 65 and see if I feel the difference.

Thanks again for replies and hopefully this follow up post won't spark more debate ๐Ÿ™‚

The debate is partly because you haven't provided enough info for an accurate recommendation and based on this post, you and your grandfather are still not actually correct when it comes to tire load/pressure.
Combine that with the inconsistent and somewhat unrealistic other "info" you've provided....
-Never even said tire size. I've gleaned, maybe incorrectly that they're 15" 225-75s likely? If 16" then wouldn't have been LR D in my experience. Totally different tires and the 15s SHOULD be near 80psi if your loaded weight is right. 16s you could run about 20psi less and still have capacity.
- 1st post, just upgraded from LR Ds. Last post, on your 3rd set of LR E Endurance tires...a tire that's only even been available for about 4 years now. Which is it?

If you can't even be consistent with the info you provide, you surely can't get the right answer to your questions unless purely by chance.

And the fact that you allude to putting mega miles on your trailer (and your website supports that assumption on my part), it also seems like you're looking for a solution or answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

TheOMB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I've been busy working and just drove from Nebraska to Maryland with my truck and travel trailer with 10,000 to 11,000 pounds loaded.

I decided to run 70 PSI cold and the ride seems better than at 65 PSI cold.

I did some research based on all the comments.

My wondering about PSI was sparked by the tire installer putting 80 PSI in the 3rd set of Goodyear Endurance E load range tires I've put on my trailer.

Without research I would have just deflated to 65 PSI cold like I've done with every tire I've had on the trailer since 2014. I learned sometime in my late 20's that my grandfather taught me wrong to air tires to PSI on tires. We air to the spec written on the door of auto... So that's what I've done with trailer but since I upgraded load range I wondered.

I found my rims could handle 80 PSI if needed.

The valve stem I could not figure out PSI but there likely good to 80 PSI. Every Valve Stem spec chart I read showed if stem could handle 65, it could also handle 80.

So... based on what Goodyear specs are, my likely weight and a few other things I've tried 70. For my next jump I'll try 65 and see if I feel the difference.

Thanks again for replies and hopefully this follow up post won't spark more debate ๐Ÿ™‚
Cheers

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
javatoto wrote:
Hi hey you did great getting load range E. Ill tell you what I found to be true. If your bit over weight drop tire pressure 8-12 LBS also if hot outside drop pressure 8-12 LBS from stated psi 80 in your trailer. I run 68-72 all the time. Before les Schwab guys would tell me 80 but kept blowing tires 5-6 per year Yeck. Someone finally said to drop pressure and now I almost forgot how to change tires! Yeah. Also get you a ramp when you have a blow out you'll just put behind the back wheel if front wheel blown and back up on to ramp instead of trims Jack leave busted wheel hanging. Be sure to loosen lugs before backing onto ramp. Fast easy safe

Imma go 50/50 on this one.
I could justify dropping pressure a bit for big temperature swings since 10deg = 1-2psi of static pressure change if volume remains the same. But it's not necessary, save for overtly extreme temperature and altitude changes. Frankly, if you had 70-75psi cold, you'll be at 75-80psi by the time the tires get warmed up just from traveling at highway speeds. If you start at 80 cold, the tires will handle 85, 90psi also. It's what they're designed to do.
Too much minutia worried about with tire pressures.

But the drop pressure if overweight is approximately 100% bad information. If anything, raise your pressure above max sidewall. (I'll qualify, I've never done this with 80psi tires, but I do it often with lighter rated truck tires, when the back of the ole 1/2 ton on factory rubber needs to play big truck for the day!)

MFL wrote:
javatoto said: "If your bit over weight drop tire pressure 8-12 LBS also if hot outside drop pressure 8-12 LBS from stated psi 80 in your trailer."

These statements make no sense! Overloaded ST tires will handle less load, with reduced air pressure.

ST trailer tires with 8-12 psi reduced pressure will run even hotter, in extreme heat.

Is this maybe just a troll first post?

Jerry

I just ASSUMED it was a troll post .... Who in their right mind would drop psi on heavier weight trailer?? That goes against ALL logic
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
javatoto said: "If your bit over weight drop tire pressure 8-12 LBS also if hot outside drop pressure 8-12 LBS from stated psi 80 in your trailer."

These statements make no sense! Overloaded ST tires will handle less load, with reduced air pressure.

ST trailer tires with 8-12 psi reduced pressure will run even hotter, in extreme heat.

Is this maybe just a troll first post?

Jerry

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
javatoto wrote:
Before les Schwab guys would tell me 80 but kept blowing tires 5-6 per year

Assuming we are talking about an RV with 4 tires and the tires are rated for 80psi...something is seriously wrong if you are blowing 5-6 tires per year.

At best dropping the a few psi is masking the real issue...or there is more to the story.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

javatoto
Explorer
Explorer
Hi hey you did great getting load range E. Ill tell you what I found to be true. If your bit over weight drop tire pressure 8-12 LBS also if hot outside drop pressure 8-12 LBS from stated psi 80 in your trailer. I run 68-72 all the time. Before les Schwab guys would tell me 80 but kept blowing tires 5-6 per year Yeck. Someone finally said to drop pressure and now I almost forgot how to change tires! Yeah. Also get you a ramp when you have a blow out you'll just put behind the back wheel if front wheel blown and back up on to ramp instead of trims Jack leave busted wheel hanging. Be sure to loosen lugs before backing onto ramp. Fast easy safe