Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY Awning protection cap / cover

Hugues06
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

I’m on the road all year long so I’m pretty worried about my awning fabric, actually the top part that is always exposed to the sun when it’s rolled up.
Some companies sell plastic covers and some people have made their own protections with PVC pipes or PVC gutters. But that doesn’t fit my need because you have to remove these when driving (I’m moving every day) and when opening the awning.

So I’m thinking of setting up a protection as a cap fixed to the roof which would overshadow the awning.
In order to avoid drilling, I’m thinking of fixing the cap with double-sided tape and Eternabond on top. Did that for my solar panel and it hasn’t moved at all. For more security, I also want to fix the cap to the metal structure of the awning with one bracket at each extremity.

What do you think of my idea?

Which material would you use? My awning is 17 feet large, ideally I’m looking for some material which would cover the whole length in one piece.
I checked Home Depot and Lowe’s but couldn’t really find what I’m looking for.
The best I found is this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunlite-24-in-x-96-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Multiwall-Roof-Panel-132506/202091947
In France, there would be 2 materials I could use but I can’t find them here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
6 REPLIES 6

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hugues06 wrote:
Hi

I’m on the road all year long so I’m pretty worried about my awning fabric, actually the top part that is always exposed to the sun when it’s rolled up.

What do you think of my idea?

The best I found is this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunlite-24-in-x-96-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Multiwall-Roof-Panel-132506/20...
In France, there would be 2 materials I could use but I can’t find them here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

Years ago I did the PVC pipe cover, it really helped but as you said, it needs to come off when traveling.

I looked at your clear polycarbonate sheet you linked. Here are my thoughts on this, the clear polycarbonate will still let the UV sun rays through. While it may help with keeping some water off, I have an instinctive feeling it will not stop the UV degradation to the main awing. The reason I say this, I found over the years that by putting up a custom made cushion in the shower skylight, that cover has drastically saved the yellowing of the shower surround as opposed to the same brand and style camper let open to the sun. The translucent polycarbonate skylight still lets too much UV through where the solid cushion we put up during the day keeps it out.

The poster with the 4" wide white Gorilla tape is a good option to help the UV breakdown. The tape may only last outside a few years, but it would help block the UV rays. I know the Ebond, and it will hands down work and last, but the ozz'ing of the gray sealant may become a problem. A thin layer of Dicor non sag lap sealant smeared on the exposed Ebond edge can help with the ozz'ing I just do not know how long it will last rolling and rolling. I use the Dicor non sag on roof Ebond and it is 13 years plus and still going strong, but that area does not roll up. the Dicor may crack over time.

Let us know how you make out.

Hope this helps

John

PS, they do sell aluminum roll up covers for the awning. They cost $$$, but it does help keep the sun off the awing when rolled up, some water may still wick in the ends, but it far better then the standard awning .
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:
Hugues06 wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
Yes, these awnings with built in protection seem great.
I used Eternabond to protect my slide out awning and even though it does the job, it’s not very nice because when the awning is closed, it’s very tense so it pulls the Eternabond and the grey gluey part appears.
Any insights on the material?

Was the slide out awning open or closed when you taped it? I you decide to try again I would close the awning and then tape with it closed.

Yes you are right....tape the top of the awning when closed.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Hugues06 wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
I used Eternabond to protect my slide out awning and even though it does the job, it’s not very nice because when the awning is closed, it’s very tense so it pulls the Eternabond and the grey gluey part appears.

Was the slide out awning open or closed when you taped it? I you decide to try again I would close the awning and then tape with it closed.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I covered the top of my awning with 4" wide white gorilla tape. If you clean the material well it sticks forever and wrap it over each end.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

Hugues06
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have considered the same thing, and even doing it very similar to what you described.

Ultimately I just applied two strips of 4" wide Eternabond across the top of the awning. It protected it well. I just replaced that awning at 18 years old. There are awnings available with built in protection for the top section.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE