cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

painting/replacing wheel simulator rim liner

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone painted or replaced the chrome 19.5 F53 FORD 10 LUG RV motorhome wheel simulator rim liner black? I think the black would match paint scheme on my 2014 Bounder 34B better. Little to no chrome anywhere else on RV.
Thanks
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b
12 REPLIES 12

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
If you don't want the chrome of the simulators, take them off. The only reason they are used is because it cost less to polish the lightweight piece than the wheel. Painting over the plating, and making it stick is PITA. Paint the wheel is easier.

Not sure how painting the wheel is easier. Usually there's a ton of dirt and some rust. To do it right they would need to be removed, tire removed, hand sanded or media blasted and then painted and put all back together again.

Sure you could try and tape it up on the RV and use a rattle can, but results usually reflect the approach. Trying to clean and remove rust, tape a perfect circle, cover the lugs, the center cap, stem and paint outside without over spray and drips is challenging.

Wheel covers come off easy are smaller and snap back on. There's no plating, usually they're polished SS or aluminum.

Yes possibly buying a new set and painting hold ones would be best bet. I have a friend who runs a body shop that could paint them for me.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
If you don't want the chrome of the simulators, take them off. The only reason they are used is because it cost less to polish the lightweight piece than the wheel. Painting over the plating, and making it stick is PITA. Paint the wheel is easier.

Not sure how painting the wheel is easier. Usually there's a ton of dirt and some rust. To do it right they would need to be removed, tire removed, hand sanded or media blasted and then painted and put all back together again.

Sure you could try and tape it up on the RV and use a rattle can, but results usually reflect the approach. Trying to clean and remove rust, tape a perfect circle, cover the lugs, the center cap, stem and paint outside without over spray and drips is challenging.

Wheel covers come off easy are smaller and snap back on. There's no plating, usually they're polished SS or aluminum.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
PCronin68 wrote:
I was hoping I could buy them in black and keep the existing liners for any future buyer. Thanks

I guess I'm blocked. AFAIK, the only reason to run the liners is to avoid the cost of polishing/plating wheels.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Black wheel simulators for 19.5 comes up pretty empty on google and the ones I did see were as much per wheel as a whole set of standard polished ones. You can get a new set from various places from $300-400. Paint the old ones black and when the time comes to sell just buy a new set.

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping I could buy them in black and keep the existing liners for any future buyer. Thanks

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

X2. I've yet to see any vehicle that looks better with black wheels than it does with chrome or polished alloy wheels.

OP: Before you go off the deep end, you might want to take a picture of your motorhome and photoshop black wheels on it. Then, if you love the look of it, go for it! (after all, it IS yours, but consider resale as well). Just my opinion.

Resale is another reason to paint the wheels. Buyer has the choice to go back with simulators.

But a potential buyer might see a pic of the MH with black wheels & dismiss it. Buyers are fickle, and many lack imagination. 30 years in the automobile business taught me that!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

X2. I've yet to see any vehicle that looks better with black wheels than it does with chrome or polished alloy wheels.

OP: Before you go off the deep end, you might want to take a picture of your motorhome and photoshop black wheels on it. Then, if you love the look of it, go for it! (after all, it IS yours, but consider resale as well). Just my opinion.

Resale is another reason to paint the wheels. Buyer has the choice to go back with simulators.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have them powder coated instead of painted, more durable and will last longer
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Nope. Your rig, your choice. Iโ€™ve never thought (still donโ€™t) black rims or white for that matter look good on anything except a little red wagon. Reminds me of the 50โ€™s and 60โ€™s when it was โ€œcoolโ€ to remove the hub caps.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. Your rig, your choice. Iโ€™ve never thought (still donโ€™t) black rims or white for that matter look good on anything except a little red wagon. Reminds me of the 50โ€™s and 60โ€™s when it was โ€œcoolโ€ to remove the hub caps.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not wheel covers personally but polished aluminum, yes. The method for painting polished aluminum goes something like : Thoroughly clean the aluminum and let dry. Sand the metal surface with coarse-, then fine-grit sandpaper. Apply self-etching primer, let dry, then sand again. Apply paint - multiple coats, and sanding between coats.

Tough to ever go back though once you go through the process if you don't like it or want to sell it in the future.