cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water tank health concerns and questions

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, something I've completely avoided doing in my travel trailer since buying it in 2018 is using my tanks - neither the fresh water, grey water or black water tanks have been used once in any way. Part of the reason is because I want to avoid the hassle of dumping and cleaning the tanks, carrying the extra weight etc. But the biggest part of my concern are health issues that could be caused by carrying around a tank full of my waste underneath where I eat and sleep. It's no secret that human waste can create a lot of bad bacteria and parasites and sometimes mold. I am concerned that if I start using my tanks, the black water tank especially, that harmful bacteria/mold could form that would find its way into the air of my trailer and that it might lead to health problems.

Are these concerns unfounded? Are waste and water tanks on newer travel trailers designed well enough where it truly keeps all of the bacteria and bad stuff sealed off from the rest of the trailer? Maybe I'm spoiled from having real plumbing most of my life, but the idea of having a tank full of bacteria, parasites and potentially harmful mold sitting right underneath my living area sounds like a surefire way to get health problems.

Thanks for any feedback or sharing your experiences with this. As I get older it becomes harder for me to walk or drive to facilities to use the bathroom and I'm considering finally starting to use the tanks in my trailer but the health concerns are a sticking point for sure.
39 REPLIES 39

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
One must be cautious when dealing with such issues. Gloves and mask were helpful when dumping and handling the hose. Never used their hose to fill the freshwater tank in the campgrounds where available. Never used fresh water tank water for drinking, etc.

Will not be viewing further

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
Cocky_Camper wrote:
I am more concerned about sitting on the toilet that someone else sat on in public...

Tis true, especially since guys in public restrooms have very bad aiming skills. Also have to worry about dropping your drawers on the ground while you sit due to the same bad aiming skills.

I have a friend who changes the toilet seat whenever he gets a new house.
bumpy

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cocky_Camper wrote:
I am more concerned about sitting on the toilet that someone else sat on in public...

Tis true, especially since guys in public restrooms have very bad aiming skills. Also have to worry about dropping your drawers on the ground while you sit due to the same bad aiming skills.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should use public facilities for several reasons.

#1. You show concern about your health by having tanks under your trailer. This being the case, I think you will really have a problem with health concerns when it comes time to dump your waste.

#2. If you have concerns and if your health is so tenuous that you have a problem walking to a bathroom I think you will really have a problem dumping your tanks.

In any event, I wish you the best of luck at whatever decision you make.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lantley wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing that hasn't been posted. Everything in your black tank is something you ate or drank. There's nothing else in there, unless you add a small amount of chemicals. The grey tank is water and soap. The same that you just washed your hands with.

The best part of owning an rv over tenting is having your own private facilities with you. Once you start using it, you will wonder why you waited so long.

Just because it went in your mouth does not mean its germ or bacteria free when it comes out the other end! I'm not sure what your point is!
The grey tank also contains grease , skin folicles and stagnant water.
Waste water water is not germ free. Otherwise we would not need traps to seal off sewer piping.

The point is...if your fecal matter has a nasty disease present, as the only users of that facility, you have already been exposed to it. This does assume you don't let a lot of random people into your RV to use the facilities.

Traps are not to prevent germs from getting into your living space...they won't (household or RV). They are to stop sewage odors and methane from entering the living space. There are roof vents to allow them to escape.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thatโ€™s the best part of a RV if youโ€™re not paranoid.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing that hasn't been posted. Everything in your black tank is something you ate or drank. There's nothing else in there, unless you add a small amount of chemicals. The grey tank is water and soap. The same that you just washed your hands with.

The best part of owning an rv over tenting is having your own private facilities with you. Once you start using it, you will wonder why you waited so long.

Just because it went in your mouth does not mean its germ or bacteria free when it comes out the other end! I'm not sure what your point is!
The grey tank also contains grease , skin folicles and stagnant water.
Waste water water is not germ free. Otherwise we would not need traps to seal off sewer piping.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
I think that we should take the OP's concerns seriously and not poke fun at him. There is no reason to be rude.

Some clowns think it's funny to be rude. :R

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agreed. I refrained from any sarcasm about it. But his recent threads allude to some pretty strange ideas or notions.
Try to helpโ€ฆ. But normal things like canโ€™t run your AC off of solar and RVs are meant to be used to store water for use and to relieve oneself just donโ€™t add up.
Iirc he moved into his camper full time. Must have a bath house and never spent a night somewhere without one?
Age regression. Hard for many to identify.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that we should take the OP's concerns seriously and not poke fun at him. There is no reason to be rude.

Having said that, I respectfully disagree with the idea that one's own black tank poses a significant health risk. Is there some risk? Perhaps, but it is a very small risk.

By contrast, using public restrooms poses a much greater risk -- some members of the public are very sloppy about personal hygiene.

Dumping the black tank does involve some risk, but that risk is easily mitigated with disposable gloves and hand sanitizer. During the height of the pandemic, we also wore masks when dumping the tanks. We no longer do so. Note that the dump station is outdoors, with great air circulation, unlike a public restroom.

Having our own traveling bathroom meant that we were able to travel during the pandemic without using public restrooms. Otherwise, we would have had to hide out at home.

I hope this whole discussion has helped to reassure the OP. Everything in life involves some risk. It helps to quantify that risk and to weigh the alternatives.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:
You forgot about the Tyvek suit, knee high rubber boots, and military grade respiratory protection. Do not forget to have someone tape the boots and gloves to the Tyvek suit, preferably before you get to the dump station.

And then inevitably get back into your truck still wearing half that stuff, or taking off your gloves first so your once protected hands are now dirty, and you get back into the truck, grab the steering wheel and then grab an apple to eat going down the road.

I find that the people that get crazy about "cleanliness" are usually the sloppiest ones in real life.

I used to work at a sub shop. People would come in, hand me money to pay for the food, then complain that I didn't wash my hands BEFORE putting the raw steak on the grill (I'd wash my hands immediately after touching the raw meat). They would complain that my hands were dirty from the dirty money (the same dirty money that the customer touched and didn't wash his hands afterwards). It wouldn't dawn upon them that anything dangerous would be killed by the heat of cooking the food.

Or they want food servers to wear gloves... as if we wouldn't touch all the same things with GLOVED hands (thus making them dirty) that we would with BARE hands.

Can't fix stupid...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Have an experienced RVer show you how to dump cleanly for you and the dump station. Rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, a small bucket or dishpan, safety glasses, maybe a stool. First rule is โ€œhookupโ€ securely the hose to the dump hole before you go near your trailerโ€™s dump connection.

You forgot about the Tyvek suit, knee high rubber boots, and military grade respiratory protection. Do not forget to have someone tape the boots and gloves to the Tyvek suit, preferably before you get to the dump station.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.