cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finding the leak

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
My old TT had water damage to the floor. I never saw the water, and I was never really sure where the leak was.

I know I’m supposed to check the roof seams for leaks, but what am I looking for. Will it be obvious that there is a gap? Is the roof the most common problem?

The damage was in two places, the bathroom and near the door, which is also near the sink. Could the leak be around the door frame, or something to do with the drain pipes?
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
5 REPLIES 5

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I’ve never checked a seam for leaks. Not sure I could see a small hole or separation. I redo the caulking at least yearly.

Do you remove the old caulking first? Sounds like that could cause as many problems as it fixes.

I am dealing with rubber roofs. The old trailer that had the leaks was a 2012, but now I’m more concerned about the brand new one.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bgum wrote:
Perform a leak test by pressuring up the inside then spray areas with soapy water.

Tape a box fan in place over an open window (blowing into the window). Use cardboard and tape to seal around it.

Close the door and any other windows. Set the fan to high and go around the seams with soapy water.

PS: Yes, you can often see where the sealant is pulling away but not always.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
What year is your trailer? Does it have aluminum roof or rubber roof? Different problems depending on material.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Perform a leak test by pressuring up the inside then spray areas with soapy water.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve never checked a seam for leaks. Not sure I could see a small hole or separation. I redo the caulking at least yearly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad