cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Godzilla" Ford V 8

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why the new Ford "Godzilla" V8 7.3 liter is rated at 350 HP in a Class C motorhome but 430 HP in a Ford F250 superduty truck? The torque ratings are similar though,
25 REPLIES 25

Kenneth_Sons
Explorer
Explorer
Both the 430Hp and 350Hp are the same engines with the same Ford tune. Horsepower is Torque (FTLB) x RPM / 5250. When reading the power at 3900 vs 5500 rpm, the Horsepower is lower. I have a 2022 E-450 Forest River and it has revved beyond 4500 rpm pulling hills. This RV, with no engine modifications, has crested Eisenhower Tunnel at 65 mph without full throttle.

Two things happen at high rpm, first the engine heats up, causing the cooling fan to come on, and second the gas mileage drops quickly. This engine, unlike many truck and car engines doesn't use fuel enrichment for internal cooling.

The engine life, when occasionally operating above 3500 rpm, will likely outlast the RV, especially if you change oil more often than recommended such as at 3750 or 5000 miles.

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
At one point, the way "medium duty" engines were rated was different from "light duty." RVs fell in to "MD" while pickups fell in to "LD." Different RPM or different ambient noise levels or something, don't recall the details but it was different for the different classes. It may have been related to GVWR but I'm not positive on that.

One thing I am sure about is this exact discussion (argument) happening on this same forum 15 or 20 years ago when everything was 2V V10s; the pickups at that time were rated higher than the RVs. Forum members at that time with intimate geek-level V10 knowledge verified they were identical engines with identical tunes. There were a billion threads on here and other forums with all the drama and all the details explained at that time.

I suspect it's probably still the same today, the only difference between the RV and pickup engines exists on paper.
Patrick

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lumpty wrote:
If someone has only ever twisted their Ford V10 to 3500rpm max, thatโ€™s one slow ride.

It's just typical rvnet fodder... or one slow ride like you said!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
With all due respect here friend, that โ€˜blow it upโ€™ idea is a myth, gas or diesel.

We had several F Super Dutyโ€™s (now called the F-450) back in the day that were built with a 5.10 gear set in the rear end, 5th gear, foot to the floor, 65 mph (110 kmh). They rarely had an easy day. Several of them we ran to 350,000+ km (210,000 miles) without any issues. There was a mix of 7.3 diesels and 460โ€™s.

You mean the 450's with the derated engines to encourage longevity?

De-rated? You know something the rest of us donโ€™t know?

The 460 went from carbโ€™ed to fuel injected which bumped the hp to 245 and it stayed that way till they were replaced with the V10.

But it wouldnโ€™t surprise me if they were backed off for longevity, Ford has a long and very successful track record of doing so. We have several Ford tractors on the farm that are north of 12,000 hours on them without any major issues or failures.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
JaxDad wrote:
With all due respect here friend, that โ€˜blow it upโ€™ idea is a myth, gas or diesel.

We had several F Super Dutyโ€™s (now called the F-450) back in the day that were built with a 5.10 gear set in the rear end, 5th gear, foot to the floor, 65 mph (110 kmh). They rarely had an easy day. Several of them we ran to 350,000+ km (210,000 miles) without any issues. There was a mix of 7.3 diesels and 460โ€™s.

You mean the 450's with the derated engines to encourage longevity?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
If someone has only ever twisted their Ford V10 to 3500rpm max, thatโ€™s one slow ride. The one in my E450 cutaway in normal driving will generally upshift at 4k. Any hill will drop it from 5th to 4th, with an rpm jump from 2500 to 4000. It has had numerous foot to the floor moves where the 5R110 will shift at 5000. The Coyote in my F150 rips upshifts at 5900. In Mustangs, the same motor with different cams is redlined at 7000.

But back to the Godzilla, it was my understanding too the HD and light duty versions make the same power, just on a different ratings scale for each. And Iโ€™ll bet the transmissions WOT shift at the same 5500 rpm or higher in either too.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Realistically, how many people drop $70-90k on a truck and go around with it floored at 5,500rpm with a heavy load.

More than just in a stoplight race or a burnout?
Only those that bought a 7.3 gasser to haul their 14k 5ver anywhere in the mountains, because "a diesel is too expensive and unreliable."

LOL

Show me a burnout/drag race where they can get the 7.3 engine up to 5,500rpm with heavy torque to max out the HP.

Yeah, you might be able to force it into a low gear and get up to 5,500rpm but the torque will be way below max available at that rpm. By the time you get up into the higher gears it's tough to get the rpm up that high without hitting max speeds due to wind resistance.

Reality is very few engines will ever develop the max rated HP and most owners don't want to thrash a very expensive new truck, so it's mostly about bragging rights.

I've taken 3 different GM 2500's with the 6.0 up into 5500 territory regularly in the PA/WV/VA/NC mountains pulling a heavy load, and never hurt any of them. The tachs went to 6000 in each. Let them run up into the 5's when descending in low gears also.

Wow, uphill, I've never had to go above 3500 RPM with the Ford V10. I'm betting you are a rare exception.

Of course, do it once in a great while, no it won't blow up immediately. Do it daily in commercial operation and don't expect the same longevity out of the engine.

Downhill, I've hit 4000 rpm on occasion but the engine isn't putting out any power under those conditions, so a completely different discussion.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Over 3500 with an old Ford V10, Rare exception? Lol. (Well same for any NA gasser really)
Add some context to that. What are the grades, altitude, load your pulling and how fast?

And is there a head wind?

Or do you just not recognize that there are ALOT of drivers that really work their vehicles?

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
PButler96 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Realistically, how many people drop $70-90k on a truck and go around with it floored at 5,500rpm with a heavy load.

Only those that bought a 7.3 gasser to haul their 14k 5ver anywhere in the mountains, because "a diesel is too expensive and unreliable."

LOL

Show me a burnout/drag race where they can get the 7.3 engine up to 5,500rpm with heavy torque to max out the HP.

Yeah, you might be able to force it into a low gear and get up to 5,500rpm but the torque will be way below max available at that rpm. By the time you get up into the higher gears it's tough to get the rpm up that high without hitting max speeds due to wind resistance.

Reality is very few engines will ever develop the max rated HP and most owners don't want to thrash a very expensive new truck, so it's mostly about bragging rights.

I've taken 3 different GM 2500's with the 6.0 up into 5500 territory regularly in the PA/WV/VA/NC mountains pulling a heavy load, and never hurt any of them. The tachs went to 6000 in each. Let them run up into the 5's when descending in low gears also.

Wow, uphill, I've never had to go above 3500 RPM with the Ford V10. I'm betting you are a rare exception.

Of course, do it once in a great while, no it won't blow up immediately. Do it daily in commercial operation and don't expect the same longevity out of the engine.

Downhill, I've hit 4000 rpm on occasion but the engine isn't putting out any power under those conditions, so a completely different discussion.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

LOL

Reality is, Iโ€™m not at all sure what youโ€™re saying or the point youโ€™re trying to make, nor do I understand what youโ€™re saying.
Iโ€™d have to say every NA gasser truck Iโ€™ve ever towed a heavy trailer up a grade with is usually in the upper percentile of useable rpms the whole way up. And sometimes on the way down too.
Power of the truck vs size of load dictates whether itโ€™s hitting the rev limiter and losing speed or able to maintain with some pedal โ€œleftover.โ€
And what does bobtail speed limited by wind resistance have to do with anything? You drive your pickup 130mph or something? I donโ€™t. I take a fast car if I want to pretend Iโ€™m in the Cannonball Run!

Next thing weโ€™ll hear is Sumo springs make a rough riding sticf spring truck ride better, emptyโ€ฆ.lol

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

LOL

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

LOL

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
DaButcher wrote:
Just in case the standard RV horsepower of the Godzilla engines isn't enough add a couple turbos to get 1100+ HP.

Twin-Turbo Ford 7.3L Godzilla V8 Pumps Out 1,100 Horsepower

โ€œHey honey, I think itโ€™s time I traded in my old work truck, Iโ€™m just going to run down to the Ford store for a bit โ€ฆโ€ฆ โ€œ

DaButcher
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case the standard RV horsepower of the Godzilla engines isn't enough add a couple turbos to get 1100+ HP.

Twin-Turbo Ford 7.3L Godzilla V8 Pumps Out 1,100 Horsepower
2021 Freelander 31MB Class C

NRA Life Member