cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Packages on 2015 to 2020 F150 5.0 L

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
For model years 2015 to 2020 F150s with the 5.0 engine, how do I tell if it has a tow package? I'm shopping for one. Do I just verify if it has the round 7 pin connector and receiver hitch or do I look for other clues? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:

Actually, it is marked Class III/IV on the hitch with the Towing Package because it is rated for over 10000# with a WDH. The Max Tow hitch has a higher rating but is still marked Class III/IV. Hitch stickers are on the bottom of the hitch.

I always thought Class IV hitches used a 2-1/2" receiver and Class III used a 2" receiver.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Fords F150 has a 'MAX TOW" option;
Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranchยฎ, and Platinum models.
โ€ข
โ€ข
โ€ข
โ€ข Class IV trailer hitch receiver

This is probably the big give away ! Less that MAX TOW have Class III receivers !

Actually, it is marked Class III/IV on the hitch with the Towing Package because it is rated for over 10000# with a WDH. The Max Tow hitch has a higher rating but is still marked Class III/IV. Hitch stickers are on the bottom of the hitch.
Just because the truck has a receiver hitch doesnโ€™t mean it has the Max or normal tow package. Ford also optioned a Class III/IV receiver hitch and wiring package, standard with Lariats & above. Limited to 7000# or so, year dependent.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
โ€ข
โ€ข
โ€ข

This is probably the big give away ! Less that MAX TOW have Class III receivers !

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A tow package ??

I'll add to what MitchF150 says about just the a basic towing option.

Includes:
โ€ข 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
โ€ข 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
โ€ข 36 Gallon fuel tank
โ€ข Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
โ€ข Engine oil cooler
โ€ข Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
โ€ข Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
โ€ข Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
โ€ข Upgraded front stabilizer bar
โ€ข Upgraded rear bumper

Requires 3.5L EcoBoostยฎ engine.
Does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately.
Max GCWR/Max Tow achieved on SuperCrewยฎ when equipped with 20-inch Wheels. This configuration will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear, and upgraded stabilizer bar.

And of course the F150HDPP package with it 7850 gvwr and 4800 rawr. Drivers side door certification placard will show the higher rated gvwr/rawr package.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Various model years had various optional packages that changed the payload.

Ford does publish towing guides on the Web for older models.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it has the big 9.75" rear axle vs the standard 8.8" and an integrated brake controller it has everything offered in the tow package.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
"In general", if they do have the OEM hitch and 7 pin connector, they have at least the most basic "tow package".. Other clues might be the built in brake controller and that insane "backup assist" knob trucks seem to have now a days...

It will still all come down to gear ratios and payload stickers... Remember, the more options, and doors, the more it gonna weigh and the LESS payload you will have..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.