cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steps

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Who here has removed their old steps and installed a new set of the Lippert one piece style folding stairs? Modification to the door sill plate looks necessary, anything else you ran into?
15 REPLIES 15

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Glowsteps. Assuming I posted this link correctly, this discussion may be of some help:

Earlier discussion of Glowsteps and installation
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

flathead92
Explorer
Explorer
worst idea EVER!!!! try parking close to something and putting stairs out. Someone is gonna get hurt, imagine that falling on your head.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I considered the one piece, fold into RV, steps. Cost and dirt into RV made me think twice. I want step stability. Found these that were discussed on a previous thread....

Lippert Solid Stance

Has anyone used them? What were your results?
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I had worked a set of thoes steps into the deal when I bought my 5th wheel, lippert didnt have any stock at the time as they were so new and there were shipping issues and on and on.. I ended up getting them to drop the stairs and add a third solar panel instead. best move I ever made in my mind.

I thought about it for a few weeks, for some one who goes some where sets up and stays there for a longer period of time they are probably perfect. but where I camp were moving around a lot , camping in sand, mud, snow and so on, so I didnt like the idea of what ever you don't sweep off the steps when you fold them, ending up inside your camper.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
I got the glow step and really lime it. Where I park I could not use the type that folds into the door. The fold out type stairs would hit the wall next to where I park before it was down enough to get in.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
It my understanding that the Glow Steps can mount above the or below the entry door

Correct, they have models that replace traditional 2 or 3 step box entry stairs or models that install above the threshold like stable steps.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It my understanding that the Glow Steps can mount above the or below the entry door
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
I took a look at those Glowsteps. The issue with my trailer is that it has pre-set studs for the steps to go on and the placement does not match any other steps ive looked at. In fact, the steps that are on the unit have had additional tabs welded on to them to match the existing studs. Moving the studs isn't an option as i dont want to tear up the floor.
Note: trailer is a 2007 R Vision 7200 ultra light ( double step currently installed but sits low enough that a single would work)
So I guess my options are to buy new steps and have tabs welded to them but I definitely dont want to do that as the studs are less than 100% or install the folding steps. I thought this option would be easier so long as there isnt a clearance issue with the door.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for pointing out The HappilyEverHanks. Quite an entertaining couple.

The TorkLift Glowstep A8004 and Stromberg AC-544 handrail is on my upgrade list. DW bad knees is making it difficult for her to climb up the 3 step OEM fold outs we currently have.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were to do an upgrade it would definitely be to the glowsteps, the stable steps definitely have some serious drawbacks. Happily ever Hanks covered this just the other day on their YouTube channel.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Plus 2 on the Tork Lift Glowsteps. Have had them on my TT TH for several years. The adjustability is really nice, side to side, and height. I did the install myself, and only took all day. (Your time and success may vary)
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MitchF150 wrote:

They have those little 'feet' on the ends to adjust for different terrain and levels. I guess if my rig had come with it, I'd just go with it, but seems like a lot of work to remove the folding steps with that one piece one??

On one of our prior units, I had to pull the steps off...it's 4 bolts. (the old style that fold under the door on the outside)

Also the new style that folds into the door, doesn't even need the old steps removed as they screw down into the sill.

I suggest the OP google a couple installation videos. You need the right model but otherwise, it seems pretty straight forward to install.

As someone else mentioned, much more stable, particularly if it's 4 steps. It eliminates the diving board effect.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did when I installed 6 point levelers, had to remove the steps to install the center jack. I installed the Mor-Ryde steps. Didn't know why we hadn't done it sooner, so much sturdier and feels better when going in and out.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I think those 1 piece steps are a bad idea. Consider changing to Torxlift Glowsteps. Glowsteps are a much better solution.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide