cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insist dealership check vehicle under the exact same conditions

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
In another thread, I described that our truck has been doing a deep rumbling noise at certain speeds when the trailer is connected...it only happened under those conditions....no noise when driving without the trailer

To try to duplicate, the dealership service rep put some amount of weight in the bed...he didn't sense any issue...tried to tell me, 'there's nothing wrong'....I didn't accept that

Once he hooked up to a trailer similar in weight to ours, the problem surfaced....now they've replaced the driveshaft

The point: it's important that, if a problem only occurs under certain conditions, that we insist the repair tech duplicate those conditions in testing
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
11 REPLIES 11

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
To try to duplicate, the dealership service rep put some amount of weight in the bed...he didn't sense any issue...tried to tell me, 'there's nothing wrong'....I didn't accept that

Once he hooked up to a trailer similar in weight to ours, the problem surfaced....now they've replaced the driveshaft

The point: it's important that, if a problem only occurs under certain conditions, that we insist the repair tech duplicate those conditions in testing

Good point and glad the dealer agreed to hook up another trailer to duplicate your trucks drive line shudder. Not many dealers will do that.

Just weight alone in the trucks bed may not cause a shudder issue....but add several thousand pound trailer plus weight in the bed created your trucks shudder.....especially under hard acceleration getting the combo moving.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
In your other thread you said, “At certain speeds, and only when the truck (in signature) is heavy with either people, cargo, or the TT (tongue weight per Jayco is 470 dry), the truck has an 'almost-too-low-and-too-deep-to hear' rumble that lasts until the truck gets either above or below the 'problem' speed....it happens at around 10mph and again at around 35 mph..”

So it seems to me the dealer really isn’t at fault for testing with a load in the bed since that was one of the things you said caused the vibration.

Deep rumbling when truck loaded (with cargo or TT)
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

blt2ski
Had this issue once. Both tech and advisor said bring both in.....accelerated out of dealership lot, tech said got issue. You're running on 6 cylinders, not 8......

Sometimes you the customer has to help tech find the issue, as others have done like me.

Yes, if I have to pay a bit of hourly to dodge guy or equal, at the end of the day, when issue is found, both are happy.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly hope you are paying for the per hour diagnosis when looking for hard to find issues. I’ll test drive a car a short distance but I won’t spend an hour unless it’s paid. Or like the very many people that come in and say it only happens at 75mph. Sure pay me to drive it to a highway that has a 75mph speed limit and I’ll do it!

I’ve wasted too much time on ghost issues to not get paid to look for a hard to find noise!

I am already tell you went in with an attitude and that doesn’t go very far!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Ummm...if it only happens when the trailer is connected, why wouldn't you ask for it to be tested with the trailer connected?

Sounds like something I would have said . . . Oh wait . . . I DID! :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
# one finding a shop that cares.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I had a truck that would start sputtering and puffing smoke when towing my tractor on my utility trailer but only when pulling a hill (this before I bought my 5er). But ran fine not towing. Drove to the dealer with tractor in tow, told them the problem, tech connected his diagnostic device (OBDII or whatever they had back then), got in truck with me, and down the highway we went. First hill and he said he got it and back to shop we went. He replaced a sensor (forgot which one now, been 15 years) and no more problems. Just need an accommodating mechanic.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ummm...if it only happens when the trailer is connected, why wouldn't you ask for it to be tested with the trailer connected?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
So, really, you need to show up with the truck AND the trailer, and have the technician ride along. Simple solution, and everybody ends up happy without a lot of wasted time. Try it that way next time. After having been in the automobile business 30+ years, I can tell you . . . it works.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good points, novice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
...and they say no and you say yes and they say no and you say yes and they say no and you say yes and they say no, we're calling the police. I've been there, and never been back.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.