cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waste water totes for fresh water

no-logic
Explorer
Explorer
When my wife and I are on longer trips we often have to add more fresh water in order to shower, wash up, and do dishes. In the past we've used 2 x 5 gallon jugs to add fresh water. I devised a system where using the house water pump we can pump it into the fresh tank. But we are getting older and these jugs can be hard to deal with. We want to buy a new Rhino 15 gallon waste water tote in order to replenish our water as it has wheels and would make life easier. A friend told me that these are not safe for potable water. We don't drink from our fresh tank and won't store water in this tote. It would strictly be for topping off the fresh tank. Has anyone else done similar or have any input on doing this?
Thanks!
2012 Palomino T-245
2016 GMC Sierra
5.3L
Borla Exhaust
Blue Ox hitch
28 REPLIES 28

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
I can't think of a reason against using a new water tote for fresh water, but I would be sure to mark it clearly as potable water ONLY.

X-2 - OK as long as "someone" doesn't accidentally use the tote for its "intended" use! The bladder type would be a good choice (instead) if it would work for you.

If the type of plastic in the tote bothers you, look into
a standard (non-metalic) fresh water RV tank.....lots of sizes available.....but no wheels, LOL.

~

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know not many here want to take my advice, but without admitting you got the idea from me, you can get a plug n play setup with wakeboard ballast bags and pump for less money than RV bladders and concocting some pump setup.
Even less if one buys a used bag. There are a lot of them for sale as itโ€™s an item that wake boat folks frequently up grade or keep when they sell a boat.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you said space can be an issue, with the hard tank you have to store it whether you are using it or not.
This takes up much less space when it isn't needed. I have the 60 gallon version and everything including my spare water pump fits in a small tote.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a 20 gallon rectangular fresh water tank from a boat. It's mounted on a wooden elevated stand I made and strapped in the truck bed. It's high enough to gravity feed into the fill port on the side of the camper.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up designing a funnel for the fresh water, if I am not close to a hose. makes it hands free and a bit easier.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just buy a spare water pump, use that to transfer water and if your water pump dies, which they do, then you'll have that one to replace it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

no-logic
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Here's one more vote for the water bladder, instead of a tote.

Tote would definitely work, but would be more expensive, and be much more of a pain to store and move around when empty than the bladder would. Not to mention the funny looks you'd get from your neighbors when they see you emptying water into your fresh tank from a tote that is typically used for waste water.

I've thought several times of getting one of those water bladders as a way to refill the fresh water tank when we might need to. Might just do it one of these days.

Would you really need a pump to transfer the water over? As long as the water bladder is sitting up higher than your fresh water tank, I'm thinking you might could gravity feed the water into the RV fresh water tank.

If your RV is one that has a switch you can throw that will transfer water into the fresh water tank, and you have a winterizing kit on it, then you could just hook up the bladder (or tote) to where you would normally suck in antifreeze when winterizing, and use the RV pump to bring the water ito the fresh water tankn. Thats probably how I'd do it, if gravity feed didn't work.

Our trailer did not have the capability of pumping into the fresh with the antifreeze pickup. That goes throughout the coach and not into the fresh tank. But I did some plumbing and with a couple of valves added...it dpes now. This is how we filled with our 5 gallon jugs. I think I would prefer a tank instead of a bladder.I think I can deal with the size. And yes, you may be right about the ability to gravity feed. Good thought! Thanks!
2012 Palomino T-245
2016 GMC Sierra
5.3L
Borla Exhaust
Blue Ox hitch

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's one more vote for the water bladder, instead of a tote.

Tote would definitely work, but would be more expensive, and be much more of a pain to store and move around when empty than the bladder would. Not to mention the funny looks you'd get from your neighbors when they see you emptying water into your fresh tank from a tote that is typically used for waste water.

I've thought several times of getting one of those water bladders as a way to refill the fresh water tank when we might need to. Might just do it one of these days.

Would you really need a pump to transfer the water over? As long as the water bladder is sitting up higher than your fresh water tank, I'm thinking you might could gravity feed the water into the RV fresh water tank.

If your RV is one that has a switch you can throw that will transfer water into the fresh water tank, and you have a winterizing kit on it, then you could just hook up the bladder (or tote) to where you would normally suck in antifreeze when winterizing, and use the RV pump to bring the water ito the fresh water tankn. Thats probably how I'd do it, if gravity feed didn't work.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would recommend against it.. HOWEVER I have an alternative recommendation.

Due to the ownership of these forms the link will be to Camping world. (When I edit it in)

But the bladders come in assorted sizes I googled "RV Water Bladder Tank" without the qutoes Other stores sell 'em

Some come with pumps. Some do not.

45 gallon bladder
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
no-logic wrote:
MFL wrote:
Agree on using a proper bladder for your refills.

I've never been one to care too much, what other people think. However, using an obvious sewer tote, to refill my fresh water supply, is not something I'd want my camping neighbors to witness.

Jerry

We thought about this. I personally don't give a #@#$ what my neighbors think. But We will definitely mark it for potable water only.
I will look into the bladder though. It might be tough to make room in my short bed pickup. When we travel there's lots of stuff in there.
Thanks for all of your thought and suggestions!

Folds up out of the way like a shirt. Wakeboard boat ballast bags and pumps are also a great option. Probably some for sale on Craigslist in Cheeseland for cheap.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I use two 7 gallon Aqua-Tainer jugs to haul fresh water to pump into our fresh tank as needed on non-water sites. The only concession I've made to my advancing age was the purchase of folding dolly that makes moving them easier when full. Our portable waste tank is reserved for... waste.

similar here. I have a dip tube and water pump in the pass through plumbed into the fresh tank, so it's pretty quick to fill. The 7 gallon aqua-tainer is a reasonable size, but is around 60lbs when full.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
routeforty wrote:
Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but Rural King(if there are any near you) has a 35 gallon stand alone tank with the fill on top and a 2" drain on the bottom. Has no wheels, but would'nt take up much room in the back of a pick up. Search "ace roto mold". Maybe Tractor supply also. Gary
Oh Forgot-Rural king price about a hundred bucks, Tractor Supply a little more
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but Rural King(if there are any near you) has a 35 gallon stand alone tank with the fill on top and a 2" drain on the bottom. Has no wheels, but would'nt take up much room in the back of a pick up. Search "ace roto mold". Maybe Tractor supply also. Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Better yet, rather than keeping a bladder in the back of the truck to get hot/cold, you could find a spot to put a portable bladder in a bin in the rv. It's basically like having an expandable second FW tank. 12v pump to fill the permanent FW when needed and it's easy. Assuming you don't go through it all and need to fill more than once. Then the bladder in the truck would be the way to go.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS