Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Armless Rear Awning

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi,

We are all familiar with the standard rear awning that you get on a rear entry truck camper, they have the arms on the sides that if you don’t extend the awning all the way out you have a chance of hitting your head on the unfolded awning arm.

I would love to put on of those newer armless awnings in place of what I have. I would even be open to a hand crank version.

Has anyone seen or done something like this?

Thanks,
Mr E
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
3 REPLIES 3

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Carefree box awnings. I have on the dining room side of my camper.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
I’m also interested in options for a rear awning that doesn’t have arms on the sides, great topic. Does anyone have photos of DIY solutions that work?

One thing that I saw on a trailer recently that might work on a truck camper was the use of a molded plastic Velcro-like strip that was attached across the top area above the door frame and a pair of eye-straps or other physical anchor points at each end. Then a pair of typical awning poles with guy-lines at the outer ends of the awning.

Thanks for any ideas on this!
http://flyte63.blogspot.com

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
They're called Box Awnings, Carefree from Colorado makes multiple models, both electric and manual crank.

The only hiccup you might run into is the amount of space between the top of the door and any overhang for the tail clearance lights you have.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL