cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 11 ..headaches..

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Dell All-in-one Windows 11 computer.. My question is sound.. I want to be able to used the audio out jack for the stereo/speakers on patio and at the same time listen to the computers speakers in my shop... I can get the audio out jack to supply output to the stereo but am unable to listen to computers built in speakers at same time.. and when I unplug the audio out jack, the computers internal speakers work.. I want to use both at same time but haven't figured out how to do it..Utube has been of no help...Anyone else experience or solve this Win 11 hurdle?
15 REPLIES 15

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
DD716TED wrote:
But I want to use the computers internal built in speakers as well as an amplifier connected to the audio line out jack.

I would guess that all computers work the same way. At least on my desktop, 2 laptops, and tablet. The audio is either in OR out.

The switchover is mechanical, not electrical. The act of plugging in changes the audio output from in to out.

On one of my laptops, when pushing in a headphone plug, there is a place where BOTH will operate at the same time. The audio output socket has mechanical contacts that are "make before break". In other words, the audio outputs are BOTH made (make) before one (inside) is break (switched over).

Using an external speaker or headphones, SLOWLY push in the plug and see if there is a point where both will be on at the same time.

It works for me.

Good luck.

Tim

I had an old dinosaur desktops and even an old laptop that had two audio outputs. One for headphones that disconnected the internal speakers when headphones were plugged in and the other was marked "Line" that provided audio to an external amplifier if desired.

The 'line output' disappeared as I upgraded to laptops exclusively. Haven't had a desktop/all-in-one since somewhere back in the early 90's. I used "Docking Stations" when I wanted more outputs.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

In your case, the splitter cable is better for your scenario as you're not using an additional wireless solution.

You can enable multiple audio device output in Windows 10. Should also work in Windows 11. I do this to play on my PC speakers and Bluetooth headphones simultaneously.

To make this easier, I composed these instructions in MS Word and uploaded as a single PNG file.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
problem resolved using old fashioned method.. split audio line out jack and sent signal to 2 sets of amplified speakers.. will not use internal speakers on new system..Thanks for help from all

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I said. In the old days you plugged in the audio was sent down the cable
You left it unplugged it went to internal

Now they give you a choice. This is a step up. But it's still A or B never All of the Above.. Use the splitter and a pair of amplified speakers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
But I want to use the computers internal built in speakers as well as an amplifier connected to the audio line out jack.

I would guess that all computers work the same way. At least on my desktop, 2 laptops, and tablet. The audio is either in OR out.

The switchover is mechanical, not electrical. The act of plugging in changes the audio output from in to out.

On one of my laptops, when pushing in a headphone plug, there is a place where BOTH will operate at the same time. The audio output socket has mechanical contacts that are "make before break". In other words, the audio outputs are BOTH made (make) before one (inside) is break (switched over).

Using an external speaker or headphones, SLOWLY push in the plug and see if there is a point where both will be on at the same time.

It works for me.

Good luck.

Tim

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments / inputs..But I want to use the computers internal built in speakers as well as an amplifier connected to the audio line out jack..seems as though Dell has decided it is one or the other.. Might just go back to the splitter on the line out jack to 2 separate amplifiers as with the old computer and forget the built in computer speakers.. Just trying to reduce clutter on desk..

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
THIS should do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Splitter-Syncwire-Nylon-Braided-Stereo/dp/B07431YDWM/ref=sr_1_2_ssp...

Plug the splitter into the computer audio jack.
That will send the audio signal to BOTH output jacks.
Plug a speaker set into each output jack.

OOPS! wa8yxm had the splitter first.

Tim

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DD716TED wrote:
I want to use both at same time but haven't figured out how to do it..Utube has been of no help...Anyone else experience or solve this Win 11 hurdle?

In the old days the headphone jack disconnected the internal speakers mechanically (A switch built into the jack) Today I see you can pick and choose electronically (Menu choice) But I now of no way to run both at the same time.. IN some cases I have even more choices. but never more than one at the same time.

Suggestion is a 2 part
Part 1 product link

Part 2 @ Staples.

Note you can often get both from same supplier

THe advantage of the Logitec speakers is they too have a volume control. And generally better sound quality than the built in speakers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
This is why we hang on to old tablet computers. You can sometimes use them to do a single job, perhaps like this one.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
This is not a Win 11 issue, but a hardware issue. It's the way things work. You can get a secondary as suggested, or an Amazon Echo. You can't Bluetooth two separate devices to one computer. Even Bluetooth operates this way.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know anything about all in ones, but the audio driver control panel is where you probably need to be. Realtek is very common on PCs and Notebooks
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
I want to be able to used the audio out jack for the stereo/speakers on patio and at the same time listen to the computers speakers in my shop... I can get the audio out jack to supply output to the stereo but am unable to listen to computers built in speakers at same time..

This a very "old fashioned" thing. Sometimes there is actually switch built into the audio output jack. When you plug in the external speakers it turns off in internal ones. Because this is mechanical, Windows has no control.

Buying wireless speakers would help because Windows can control them. Bluetooth has a limited distance.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
second the notion of bluetooth speakers. or use two sets of wired speakers with an audio splitter coming out of the speaker jack into the splitter and then out from there to each set of speakers. personally i think the BT speakers are your best bet.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle