cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Covered Storage of RV In Driveway

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
got a new truck camper and planning to build/buy a sun and snow cover for it. 13 foot tall clearance (haul canoes on top) 13-14 feet width clearance, 26 feet long. live in Mtns of Colorado with lots of sun and snow and wind. Have Fab skills and tools on hand. Few ideas i tossing around; 1) cable suspended pitch roof with cables going from our garage to 14 foot tall posts, 2) 6 direct bury wood post having 3 on each side topping with galvanized square tube frame and fabric cover, 3) freestanding galvanized frame with pitched roof covered in fabric - this is currently my pick. Fabric will be vinyl coated polyester (think semi cargo cover tarp) that is slippery and will shed snow good. I am leaning towards freestanding frame and staking down with large (2 foot) stakes along a perimeter frame resting on the driveway that is gravel. Problem is where i park it is within my setback so a permanent structure is not possible. Anyone done similar? Know a good outlet for structure fittings/supplies? Tarp material i plan to source form Rochford Upholstery and it can be glued together. This is how the large semi cargo tarps are constructed. I have industrial sewing machine too that i can reinforce or make tie downs, sleeves, etc. as needed. Also have tube bender i could bend up frame, however i want a more square look to match the house. Want this to look nice. Any other experiences or do's don't s appreciated. Not wanting our new camper to fade and have sun damage like the old one we had for 13 years in the elements.
2023 Bigfoot 2500 10.4 TC on 2000 3500 dually duramax
Previous - Bigfoot 10.11 TC, lance TC, King Of Road 5th.
33 REPLIES 33

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
good job but looks like an arse whoopin to me!

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone for the interest and help early on and then help for posting pics. Please share any thoughts.

And if you want, check out my post in tech titled "water heater dometic 2023 not burning at hi altitude". Disappointing that mfgs make a product that will not work above 7,500 feet and we keep buying.

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
this one is frame completed. ended up being 13-6 tall using the mid level pitch fittings form ysbw that i think are 110 degrees. I used 2 inch diameter heavy wall 40 galvanized fence posts for the piping. wall thickness is about 1/8 inch. they come in 21 foot so cut in half for 10-6 tall on each side. added collar ties using 1 1/2 galv light weight pipe, and knee braces to give roof more support for snow load using 1 x 1 x 1/8 angle iron, both collar and knee braces attached to 3/16 thick tabs of steel I pre welded to pipes and have 3/8 hole in them for bolting in. Driving in and out is easy, however it is going to be a tight fit height wise when canoes on top, however i plan to excavate a 4-6 inches out in center of gravel to gain clearance. Was just out for 2.5 weeks so now need to complete the awning material. hoping by December we have awning on it but you know how that goes. we already got snow and cold temps here and the short days make for slow progress.

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
grade in the base rail pic has a swale in it for drainage. Pic posting - i took the plunge and used the hosting url and still could not get past the blocked page with mozilla and norton, used chrome and could.

We pre assembled the roof frame trusses on the ground with the peak fittings and the roof to wall fittings attached and then when I realized how heavy they were i was scratching head how to erect this thing. Few ideas, but in end building a crane that reached about 15 feet worked. Pinned crane to jeep to tow bar brackets with 1/2 inch bolt, chained it back to roll cage to set boom angle, ran winch cable up through pulley at top of crane boome. Tried lifting 3 trusses at once, but could not get height due to truss hitting crane boom so had to do one at a time. we would set truss where it needed to go, position crane over it, raise up, stick tubes in the socket of wall fitting and slipped pipe over the 3 inch stub on base rail. then secured with temp ropes to trees and other to support as built on more. WIfey gave me s#$t that i had to build a crane, but doing off ladder or scaffold would have been a pita. It worked well and i have other project for crane down the road.

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
base rail of 2x3x3/16 rectangle tube in place. A "U" viewed from above, welded sides to ends and torch cut holes to go over 1 inch threaded rod. Welded 17 posts of 1 1/2 diameter by 3 inch tall to base rail at locations where the vertical pipes would be. Pipes go over the the posts and are cross drilled with 5/16 bolts and have a drain hole in. base outside dimension is 12-6 wide and sides are 27 feet long. I initially was going to do 12 wide and am glad i increased to 12-6 wide so can open doors on truck. If had room one of the 14 wide commercially available would be nice. This is in a tight spot so i can still back in and access it.

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
setting 9 anchors 24 -30 inches deep. Anchors are semi truck brake drum with large rotor welded to face with 4 inch steel tube riser welded to rotor then a 1 inch threaded rod welded to riser and set to protrude 6 inch above final grade.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
tiptoptune wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Open this link. Drag and drop the photo. Copy and paste the link that it returns. (This link is thanks to the user named 1492.)

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

Dang it! the link gets blocked by my virus software with message that it is "known dangerous site not highly recommended to proceed". Any other ideas to post a few pics?

I, and many others, have been using that site for quite a few years. I just click on "continue to the site" and go on. There is nothing there that will hurt you or your computer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
tiptoptune wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
tiptoptune wrote:
how can i post pics? I do not have a URL or dropbox or other. Just saved on my computer.

Open this link. Drag and drop the photo. Copy and paste the link that it returns. (This link is thanks to the user named 1492.)

Dang it! the link gets blocked by my virus software with message that it is "known dangerous site not highly recommended to proceed". Any other ideas to post a few pics?

See if your virus software lets you mark a website as "known safe." Or, disable the virus software for 10 minutes.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
tiptoptune wrote:
how can i post pics? I do not have a URL or dropbox or other. Just saved on my computer.

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you Guys! I will try to upload pics using the link when I back to laptop and not on my phone. I on the road for a bit and limit my use. Old school and cheap so I can retire. Gonna be middle of next week before I can try. I think u will find my method interesting and creative.

dedmiston
tiptoptune wrote:
WOW! Calling me out! I have always liked this forum for the down to earth help. A bit disappointing.

I apologize that it came off that way. It was meant in fun.

Plus we'd like to see what you did. I think a lot of us are eager to know how your project came out and a picture is worth a thousand words.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
tiptoptune wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Calling me out! I have always liked this forum for the down to earth help. A bit disappointing. But i understand pics help and i like pics too. Just a busy boy here and not ever posted pics. Trying to post pics tonight. I actually did what i said i did. You want to see in real life, pm me and bring good beer. i be happy to show ya. We have learned a lot from this group since 2003 when we went fulltime for 2 years at age 35, some 20 plus years ago. At that time it was called open roads forum but think evolved to RV.net. We learned so much from the helpful group here and so i try to help by sharing my stuff, asking for input and end results. The reply to check shelter logic alone was helpful to me for this one. I did not know of the company's that made these. I never made one before, but done a lot of building and fab work. SO here are pics if i can figure out how to.
Thanks everyone for the interest and feel free to critique.