cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best security cameras for travel trailer?

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys wondering if anyone can recommend good security cameras for a travel trailer? Many security cameras seem to require wireless internet which sometimes is not available when camping (even though I do have Starlink now, it really doesn't like trees).

Is there a security camera that connects to a satellite with a security service of some kind? Basically something that could reliably operate wherever I'm located? Or are "offline" cameras the only real option right now for travel trailers? Thanks for any tips.
19 REPLIES 19

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
LMHS wrote:
Try looking at visible.com and their "party plan".

Just dont plan on connecting anything else to it. Visible does not state this in their material or website, but you can only connect one device at a time to their phones.

To use the Visible cellphone as a hotspot with multiple devices, you need to use a router. I use a router. My laptop connects to the router. The Firestick connects to the router. When at home, my cellphone defaults to the router. The Switch connects to the router. The printer connects to the router. Etc. The router connects to the phone which sits on a charging pad (came with the phone)

Visible no longer has the "party" plan. It's now $30/mo for the cheapest plan. The cheapest cell phone I could find to use as a hotspot was $100 (Visible Midnight).

I bought a Beryl router https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MKZXGBY/
I used a someone else's information to set up the router and phone https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jKLcBfdChCghgdHYS7ieGGhlUBfj7qFtSwHvZKb913Q/edit#heading=h.75pz4omwd9ny

I downloaded the document and opened it to edit. I saved all the settings in the document that applied to the phone that I used. This way I can set it up again if I need to. I also changed the sequence in the set up slightly (dim the phone AFTER you get it all set up otherwise you can't see the screen).

Just another option.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked arlo pricing. I think i'll go the insurance route!

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
liamricci wrote:
What about Google Nest. Is it good?

I didn't try it by myself, but when I was looking for a camera, I read much about Nest. Its main competitor is Arlo, I guess. And I ended up addressing arlo customer service via this source https://arlo.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html and choosing the Arlo Ultra camera because of the 4K video resolution, color night mode, and flexible power options. It also has an integrated spotlight and the whole thing is powered with a rechargeable battery pack. I didn't regret that decision.

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
What about Google Nest. Is it good?

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
In 30 years of RV'ing I have never had the need for a security camera.

If our that worried I would stay home.

If your parking location when not used is not secure then find another place.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Nomadic Fanatic uses security cameras on his rv to keep an eye on his pets while away, people who may walk by or near his rv at night, and overall security.

He can see what's happening via his cellphone while away and can check his flat screen when he thinks something may be happening outside.

Installing 8 Camera Mobile Security System on RV
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
LMHS wrote:
I think you need to get the hotspot situation solved first. Once that is solved, the security cameras can pretty much be anything you want. Try looking at visible.com and their "party plan". From what I understand you can own all the phones on the party plan, that would include a dedicated line for your security system. Something that you might be interested in. They claim to have an unlimited data plan with no throttling which is hard to find for a reasonable price.

Just dont plan on connecting anything else to it. Visible does not state this in their material or website, but you can only connect one device at a time to their phones.
I bought a phone just for the RV, was only going to use it for a tv and laptop. I have to unplug the Roku tv when I want to connect the laptop, which is a pain when you consider how it is installed.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you considered finding a new apartment an hr to hr and half away from your work location? Since you were paying for an apartment anyway,s finding a place located further away from the city might make for much better living arrangements when you do need to show up at the work location.

You often can trade higher rent in bad locations for lower rent when you are further away from a large city. This also weeds out a lot of the issues you have run into. Yes, this does mean you will have a long commute, but once you find a remote place to live that is quieter then you will understand.

Done the same thing myself, bought a home in a rural area an hr away from the largest city near me in the next county beside it. Housing cost much less, taxes much less, better school district. It is nice to be able to leave doors unlocked all day (and even all night by accident more than once) and never have to worry about someone barging in. I lived in that large city near me for two yrs to finish a degree, wasn't good back then, hasn't improved any now over 30 yrs later. After finishing the degree, worked a job there for 5 yrs before the company moved out of that city and headed to my same county that I moved to..

Remote cameras are just a temporary bandaid for a short term solution which allows you to watch helplessly while someone takes or vandalizes your property.

Then there is the ongoing cost of remote Internet access for the camera to have Internet data, figure at a min $60-$100 per month.. Add that on top of the popular camera systems like Ring that have a subscription based products that you must pay monthly subscription fee forever to keep it working.

You could roll your own camera/DVR system, HF sells a few of those for $250 or less with HD cameras but once again, Internet data connection is required if you want to have live stream remote access and when things goes sideways, you will be far away from the trailer to be of any help.

Looking at a camera/DVR for myself, but not for "homeless or bad" people, but since living in my home, had three different drunk drivers drive off the road and on to my property.. House has been hit twice and on the third time the vehicle rolled onto it's side and stop inches short of the house. I personally caught all three but the last one (most recent) one person fled and ran down the road so I was only able to catch one of two and the one left behind lied to the officer stating no one else was with them at the time of accident.. I had no evidence so they got first time offense slap on wrist and fine.

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you need to get the hotspot situation solved first. Once that is solved, the security cameras can pretty much be anything you want. Try looking at visible.com and their "party plan". From what I understand you can own all the phones on the party plan, that would include a dedicated line for your security system. Something that you might be interested in. They claim to have an unlimited data plan with no throttling which is hard to find for a reasonable price.

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips and feedback guys. I just moved out of my apartment in Portland Oregon because it was a bottom floor apartment with a door that connected to the street - had over 10 different weirdo drug addicts/criminals knock on that door, mostly in the middle of the night. After I installed Blink security cameras at that door, just seeing the camera and that they were being recorded scared off about 90% of the weirdos. Unfortunately we still have an office in Portland Oregon that I need to go to sometimes, but if you're familiar with the area you know it's basically a giant homeless encampment now with drugs and crime everywhere. The RV parks that are near the office are also near some of these sketchy homeless campgrounds, and after my experiences with the security cameras at the apartment, I feel that cameras on the trailer might be a good idea. Knock on wood I haven't had any really bad experiences yet, the only thing that's ever happened was my spare tire cover was stolen from the back of the trailer when I was boondocking in Florida. Also when I was boondocking in Florida I noticed hand prints all over the small door on the outside that leads into the storage area under the bed and suspected someone tried to get inside the trailer. It would have been real nice to have recordings of both of these events. The crux of the issue as you guys pointed out is an internet connection especially a stable one that can be used to give a consistent signal to the cameras. The Starlink internet is great... when there are no trees. My T-Mobile phone service and hotspot works most of the time but not always. Will have to figure this one out.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tyler0215 wrote:
This doesn't answer your question but: the only thing a security camera is good for is to give you a poor picture of whoever took your stuff.

:S

Boy ain't that the truth..

However, newer security cameras and DVR systems do have improved HD and low light capability that should prove somewhat more helpful. Perhaps a bit less blurry pix of who took your stuff.

Although I echo the sentiment that if your RV needs this kind of "security" it is time to find a new home for it. It is on wheels and if it is a remote storage issue, time to find a better place to store.

Most of all, for remote storage or camping in high crime areas (why?) a camera is useless, chances are your stuff will be long gone and already sold before you even get the notice. Keep up on some sort of insurance, while that won't save your RV, it will help to replace your stuff.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What is the problem you are trying to solve with cameras?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't answer your question but: the only thing a security camera is good for is to give you a poor picture of whoever took your stuff.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you feel you need a camera and security system for your unit, then maybe you need to find a different place to park it. Been at this since 2004, thousand plus camp nights and have not had anything missing unless I forgot to take it when I left the campground. Did find lots of things left by previous occupants. As stated above, keep up your insurance and enjoy yourself.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member