Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Considering first DP - any advice?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Considering first DP - any advice?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Biggyniner

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I looked at an 03 Tiffin Allegro Bus, with the Cummins ISB 300HP and Allison 6 sp. 1 owner, always maintained at frieghtliner or cummins. I know from word of mouth both Allison and Cummins are a good combo. Is there anything specific I should check?

Also new to air brakes, what should I look for there?

He did mention that the thermostat/intake housing cracked and was replaced at 62k (currently has 64k on it) and at the same time they did the rear main...

Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bullet proof chassis and engine, change oil on time, enjoy, and don't pump the brakes.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/22 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

300hp might be good for flat land but the one I had wouldn't get out of its own way and it was in a much smaller unit. 330hp is good but will struggle if you are towing something in the mountains. I currently have a 36ft Monaco with a turned up 330 and it does pretty good. That 300 isn't much in a bus.

Biggyniner

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/22 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

300hp might be good for flat land but the one I had wouldn't get out of its own way and it was in a much smaller unit. 330hp is good but will struggle if you are towing something in the mountains. I currently have a 36ft Monaco with a turned up 330 and it does pretty good. That 300 isn't much in a bus.

The current owner was honest about the hill climbing in it. Saying 40-45 whether towing or not, was to be expected on the grades.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/22 01:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you can get into things like the refer, bathroom and the sink while the slides are closed.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/22 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's something that's mandatory for me. When you bring out the frontroom slide, do the storage compartments come out with it? Mine do. If they don't, it's a real PITA to get into the storage compartments that are back under the slide outs.

Bill

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/22 03:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggyniner wrote:

Is there anything specific I should check?

Check what the cost is to fill it up with diesel.

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/22 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 07 Itasca Meridian 37' with the 300hp cummings. I have a KIA on tow dolly. Yes you are not going to go up mountain passes at 65 but last year we traveled colorado and had no problem maintaining 45 or 50, yes we did drop down to 4th or 3 gear put not being in a hurry made no difference.

The air brakes are sorta different. For me its alittle more planning ahead to stop, they are just not the same feeling as car brakes.

I agree with the post about the storage bins attached to the slide. Its great to not have to bend and crawl to gain access to the bins. My Meridians bins are attached to the slide and its just so much easier. Would not be a deal breaker though.

I enjoy the diesel much more than any coach or rig I have had. They are just a pleasure to drive.

Good Luck safe travels

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/22 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to ask him how hot the engine temp was on a long up hill pull. I had to pull over on the 7 mile pull up Fancy Gap in Virginia on 2 different occasions because it was hot. I had a regular car then but that 300hp was just gutless for me. The 330 is ok and will top the same hill at 55 with the car on a Featherlite trailer. I have had DPs since 1997 even a Monaco Dynasty with 4 slides and 450hp. I hated that thing and only kept it a year. Lots of pros and cons for them all but no matter what a higher end unit beats an entry level every time. Good luck.

Biggyniner

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/22 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

Biggyniner wrote:

Is there anything specific I should check?

Check what the cost is to fill it up with diesel.

90 gallon tank. I did the math, I did not like it lol, but such is owning a DP currently...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Considering first DP - any advice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.