cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pactola Lake campground & Sheridan Lake campground

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
How hard is it to get a 1st come 1st served spot in these campgrounds. Will be in area around Aug.15th of this year. Thanks
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
8 REPLIES 8

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we would not do the month till September sometime. Hopefully it won't be too crowded. Thanks everyone for your responses. Very appreciated! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
They are BHNF campgrounds, not state. Concessionaire operated by Forest Recreation Management of Hill City, SD. Contact them to find out about availability. They have been lokking for hosts for some of the other camps in the Black Hills.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned above, Sturgis makes everything fill up. Other than August, I think
Pactola would be toughest as it is smallest. Sheridan has more sites and you would have better chance. May not be on the water, but plenty of grassy sites.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
busy time of year in the Black Hills. many hundreds of motorcycles for the Sturgis Rally. Best to call ahead and try for a reservation somewhere.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Sturgis cycle rally is from Aug 5-14, so the B Hills will be full of motorcycles. Just an FYI. I would call the SD state park number and ask about availability, and size/clearance issues.

Jerry

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know Sheridan, but have checked out Pactola. The CG(s) are pretty basic. I cannot remember even seeing any power sources at all. When we were hosting at Custer we tried to check area attractions on our off days. Lake was pretty low back in those days and I was amazed there was no power house below the dam. But then we are from N Georgia where the population is much more dense. The over-flow was a low spot in the dam that the highway crossed at grade level-no bridge, just a low spot in the dam. Scenery around the area was great however.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Oops I didnt! In the Black Hills of South Dakota near Rapid City.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know where these lakes are and you did not say. But arriving on a Monday or Tuesday will greatly improve your chances anywhere. Sunday late afternoon is less so but possible.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper