Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camping in an EV.... Always charging...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Camping in an EV.... Always charging...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the Tesla app after reading about it on another thread. Amazing! I learned that (if I had a Tesla[emoticon]) I could make the 400 mile/ 6 hour trip from Nashville to family in Greenville SC with one 45 minute charge in Knoxville. Usual coffee and bladder needs might have me stopping twice instead but that's promising. Wouldn't work for my towing needs right now but I'm optimistic. Sure beats the possible alternative of no more recreational driving!

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

Why is someone else powering their vehicle differently than you wrong?
And why can’t someone else call their rig a camper even if you believe it isn’t a camper?

[emoticon] Aaaaa where did I ever say it was "wrong"? Go on, quote me.

[emoticon] Aaaa if you want to call your dog a cat it makes no difference to me. It's still a dog though.

Lets get real here. How many people on this forum camp in a canopy? Not a motorhome, not a 5th wheel, not a truck camper or a travel trailer......but a canopy?

Raise your hand if you take your family on a vacation in your canopy on the back of your truck.

Out of all the forums on this site there is no truck canopy forum. Maybe you can change that and petition and get a canopy forum?[emoticon]

If FLT wants to show the viability of camping in an EV truck so be it. Hook it up to a 24 to 26 foot travel trailer (the gross majority of what F150 owners camp with) and have at it. To put some dumb canopy on the back of the thing and call it camping is lame. That's not what the majority of Americans do.

FLT already compared the Lightning to a gas powered truck and the Lightning was an Epic Fail. If they were to pull a camper one could only imagine how long it would take to complete this video series.

Bottom line the Lightning should not be marketed for towing plain and simple and is more suitable for urban daily commuting.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the range limitations are fairly obvious. I don't think anyone buying one will be surprised. Nevertheless, they've pre-sold all they can build and from what I've read demand is much higher than supply. Different strokes.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm
If camping is less that staying in a metal/wood framed unit, wonder what sleeping on 1000' of ice/snow glacier at 12000' level on Mt Rainier in a nylon fiberglass framed tent? Or on dirt? Ir hanging on a rock cliff tied to it...

Many good comments, a few crazy ones....still, different strokes for different folks

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

My dad camped for years with a "dumb canopy" on the back of his truck. He used it to go to dog shows, fishing trips, etc. While I could call him many things, lame is definitely not one of them.

I camped in a truck with a canopy when I had a truck. My sibling did also.

You say you didn't call it "wrong", yet you have made it very clear you do not consider it camping. You can call it lame and dumb all you want, but there are many people who do indeed go camping in a truck with a "dumb canopy". Many people go camping in SUVs, minivans, cars, and bicycles. Your disapproval is ridiculous.

I'm saying that most Americans don't camp in a canopy. Go you any camp ground in the US and see how many people are camping in a canopy. In fact, most don't even camp in tents anymore. Even TT's under 20' are rare now days.

That's not to say people don't camp in canopy's or tents. The fact remains that the far gross majority of Americans with a 1/2 ton pickup camp with TT. Not a 5'er, (Not enough payload) not a truck camper. (see above)

If TFL wants to show camping in an EV why not show how it fairs doing what most tow with a 1/2 ton truck.....a TT? Hell, they just could have saved a bunch of money and threw a tent in the truck and and drove to Ak and called it "camping in an EV" LOL Or not even bother with the tent. Just sleep in the truck and call it camping all the way to Alaska in an EV!

If they had a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton I would want to see a big TT or even a 5er. Why? Because that's what most Americans tow with these trucks when they go camping.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/22 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read that it's not recommended to charge to 100% unless you plan to take a trip. You should only charge to 80% for typical driving to maintain battery longevity. I also read that using supercharges for a tesla can reduce battery life significantly if you use them regularly, occasionally is OK, but not recommended to use them all the time.

I also read that Pilot Gas Stations are adding charging stations to all there locations with the intention that some will be pulling trailers. They will also add for heavy haul trucks. In addition, the state of WA plans to add charging stations to all rest areas.

Right now, the issue is the cart before the horse, not enough charging stations, that is changing quickly.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/22 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

My dad camped for years with a "dumb canopy" on the back of his truck. He used it to go to dog shows, fishing trips, etc. While I could call him many things, lame is definitely not one of them.

I camped in a truck with a canopy when I had a truck. My sibling did also.

You say you didn't call it "wrong", yet you have made it very clear you do not consider it camping. You can call it lame and dumb all you want, but there are many people who do indeed go camping in a truck with a "dumb canopy". Many people go camping in SUVs, minivans, cars, and bicycles. Your disapproval is ridiculous.

I'm saying that most Americans don't camp in a canopy. Go you any camp ground in the US and see how many people are camping in a canopy. In fact, most don't even camp in tents anymore. Even TT's under 20' are rare now days.

That's not to say people don't camp in canopy's or tents. The fact remains that the far gross majority of Americans with a 1/2 ton pickup camp with TT. Not a 5'er, (Not enough payload) not a truck camper. (see above)

If TFL wants to show camping in an EV why not show how it fairs doing what most tow with a 1/2 ton truck.....a TT? Hell, they just could have saved a bunch of money and threw a tent in the truck and and drove to Ak and called it "camping in an EV" LOL Or not even bother with the tent. Just sleep in the truck and call it camping all the way to Alaska in an EV!

If they had a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton I would want to see a big TT or even a 5er. Why? Because that's what most Americans tow with these trucks when they go camping.

Surely you are capable of figuring out if the truck would work to tow a 24-26ft trailer without this video. All this video is showing is that some creativity, a person CAN camp with it.

Whether you choose to do it their way or not has no bearing on the usefulness of the video to others...

And putting a big trailer behind it and not being able to do the trip would be a waste of everyone's time and the video blogger's money.

We get it, you don't like the F150 EV. Get over it. No one is requiring you to buy it.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/22 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got to get the first copies built before they are improved. Power is immediately resolved that will crush anything in the half through one-ton market. So instead of power wars as the diesels have been waging for decades it will be range wars with improvements every model remake.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Got to get the first copies built before they are improved. Power is immediately resolved that will crush anything in the half through one-ton market. So instead of power wars as the diesels have been waging for decades it will be range wars with improvements every model remake.

Which is all the reason to wait. I have often compared it to buying a computer in the 90's and early 2000's. The model you bought one day which was top of the line, was outdated before you got home with it. The improvements will come, but the low hanging fruit is gone already. It will take substantial future innovation to make a tow worth EV practical for Business and RV use. I predict the value of the early model pickups to quickly dwindle in value as the newer models (at least in theory) improve on their charging and range situation. Another reason to wait this out.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/22 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ I agree completely. Many trucks never tow anything and don't go on 800+ mile road trips. Let these people enjoy getting to work and to the grocery without all the drama.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Camping in an EV.... Always charging...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.