Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camping in an EV.... Always charging...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Camping in an EV.... Always charging...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/22 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

And for some people, they want to explore as they go, so they may be quite happy to stop for an hour every couple hours to visit a museum or tourist sight, etc, as their truck charges.

Possibly, but that would be dependent on the museum or tourist site to have fast chargers and also fast chargers accessible to a vehicle pulling a trailer. I guess they could always unhook which would get old quick if it had to be done enough times.

Or they park at a fast charger and walk or take an uber to the sight. And, again not all people interested in traveling with an electric truck will have a trailer in tow.

The point is simply that the video shows it could work depending on an individual's travel style, etc.

It's really no different than choosing a trailer vs truck camper vs motorhome, a class B vs a class A, a 12ft tent trailer vs a 36ft 5er, etc. It's about finding what works for you and letting others enjoy what works for them.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/22 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

PButler96 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

And for some people, they want to explore as they go, so they may be quite happy to stop for an hour every couple hours to visit a museum or tourist sight, etc, as their truck charges.

Possibly, but that would be dependent on the museum or tourist site to have fast chargers and also fast chargers accessible to a vehicle pulling a trailer. I guess they could always unhook which would get old quick if it had to be done enough times.

Or they park at a fast charger and walk or take an uber to the sight. And, again not all people interested in traveling with an electric truck will have a trailer in tow.

The point is simply that the video shows it could work depending on an individual's travel style, etc.

It's really no different than choosing a trailer vs truck camper vs motorhome, a class B vs a class A, a 12ft tent trailer vs a 36ft 5er, etc. It's about finding what works for you and letting others enjoy what works for them.

We don’t tow with a truck so our EV tow vehicle battery is smaller. Makes for shorter charging. Typical 20 to 40 minutes. About right for walking the chihuahua, pee break, refill coffee cup etc. At lunch we are quite often we get the warning message that we are charged before we finish lunch. But the ford truck has a slower charge rate and bigger battery so probably not a good comparison.

Probably the only inconvenience is about 1 out of 8 or so times we have to unhook because there are no trailer stalls at the supercharger or it’s too congested to do an “alongside” charge. Meh, it’s a little trailer. Takes a minute to unhook and maybe two to hook up. The advantage of a little travel trailer. [emoticon].

wanderingaimlessly

Maryville Tn

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/22 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

PButler96 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

We don’t tow with a truck so our EV tow vehicle battery is smaller. Makes for shorter charging. Typical 20 to 40 minutes. About right for walking the chihuahua, pee break, refill coffee cup etc. At lunch we are quite often we get the warning message that we are charged before we finish lunch. But the ford truck has a slower charge rate and bigger battery so probably not a good comparison.

Probably the only inconvenience is about 1 out of 8 or so times we have to unhook because there are no trailer stalls at the supercharger or it’s too congested to do an “alongside” charge. Meh, it’s a little trailer. Takes a minute to unhook and maybe two to hook up. The advantage of a little travel trailer. [emoticon].

But apparently you are doing it in a region that is geared to recharging your vehicle, AND you don't mind searching for charge locations and gearing ALL of your travel to fit those stops.
I have no idea how this would work out, have not looked at it, but,,,, since you have professed the ease and simplicity of your style of travel, map a trip from,,,,,,
Salt lake city, to the mighty 5 and on to the grand canyon. Maybe even continue on to the Rio Grand Valley.
Does it still work easy?

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/22 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96, the issue with the member buying the Grand Design trailer was capacity and desirability of towing a 7500 pound 27 foot TT with an gasoline F150. The issue with the electric vehicle was charging time. Not a “pot and kettle” issue at all.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/22 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Are they putting chargers in at Hooters?
They have great wings.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/22 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Are they putting chargers in at Hooters?
They have great wings.

I am a Twin Peaks fan. That way I can eat, have a beer and still see some topography at the same time.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 12:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Why is someone else powering their vehicle differently than you wrong?
And why can’t someone else call their rig a camper even if you believe it isn’t a camper?

[emoticon] Aaaaa where did I ever say it was "wrong"? Go on, quote me.

[emoticon] Aaaa if you want to call your dog a cat it makes no difference to me. It's still a dog though.

Lets get real here. How many people on this forum camp in a canopy? Not a motorhome, not a 5th wheel, not a truck camper or a travel trailer......but a canopy?

Raise your hand if you take your family on a vacation in your canopy on the back of your truck.

Out of all the forums on this site there is no truck canopy forum. Maybe you can change that and petition and get a canopy forum?[emoticon]

If FLT wants to show the viability of camping in an EV truck so be it. Hook it up to a 24 to 26 foot travel trailer (the gross majority of what F150 owners camp with) and have at it. To put some dumb canopy on the back of the thing and call it camping is lame. That's not what the majority of Americans do.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/22 01:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dad camped for years with a "dumb canopy" on the back of his truck. He used it to go to dog shows, fishing trips, etc. While I could call him many things, lame is definitely not one of them.

I camped in a truck with a canopy when I had a truck. My sibling did also.

You say you didn't call it "wrong", yet you have made it very clear you do not consider it camping. You can call it lame and dumb all you want, but there are many people who do indeed go camping in a truck with a "dumb canopy". Many people go camping in SUVs, minivans, cars, and bicycles. Your disapproval is ridiculous.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 04:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both before, during and after I towed a 28 foot TT full time for many years I have also slept in a camper shell on each of my 3 dodge ram 1500s on fishing and camping trips and still do at age 76 and everything has been hunkey dorey. I do like his pop up TC. Very tempting.

For now my 3 V8 Rams including 5.7 Hemi 2014 with 32 gallon tank serve me just fine for everything and in no hurry to get an EV anything. Life is good. Cheers

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/22 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think it took that long to charge at charging stations. At one point in the video he is below 25% (I think) and it takes 45 minutes to get to 80%? At that point he gives up and continues driving. And again later in the video he charges just about to 80% and then says "Good enough" and starts driving. Is there something about charging to 100% that I missed?

I understand that there are differences in charging stations, but I assume the big fancy chargers are the fastest ones? Something about "superchargers"?

This makes me want to time how long to fill my gas truck. Next time I'm at 1/4 tank I will try to remember to time it. Usually seems to be under 5 minutes.

He also commented that going through some hills (mountains?) he really drained the battery.

The "auto drive" is interesting.

Oh, I lol'd about him adding that little air deflector. I was skipping through the video.... did that actually help at all?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Camping in an EV.... Always charging...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.