cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More generator vs. AUX-START

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again, more troubleshooting has produced more data on my situation.

Any thoughts...?

2008 Allegro Freightliner front engine diesel with Onan 5500 quiet diesel generator.

Disconnected from shore power, chassis batteries and house batteries meter out at 13.5V.
All breakers are on inside, and the breaker on the generator is on too. No obvious blown fuses.

RV engine will start. Dash illuminates, and there are no warning lights.

Lights and slides work.

Generator does nothing when the start button is pressed, the button doesnโ€™t even illuminate.

However, the generator starts if I press the AUX-START button at the same time.

The problem however โ€ฆ the generator dies as soon as I release the AUX-START.
Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.
3 REPLIES 3

MrWizard
Ever since Onan RV generators quit having a built in battery charge back circuit, they have typically been wired to the house batteries and the converter keeps the batteries charged from the generator 120v ,you have a problem where the main heavy generator B+ cable connects with the house batteries, possibly at a terminal block, the wiring from the aux start relay between the two battery systems is solid and working and i (in your case) between the generator snd the house batteries so it by passes your connection problem as long as it is engaged
If you have the Battery Management system on your rv i would start there "Big black box with fuses and relays and lots of wires, both battery systems meet there, the aux start relay is there and the generator power cable , along eith the fuses and cables for leveler control, power seats all the goodies not part of the RV interior there are some DC breakers there for the house batteries, that might be tripped preventing the generator from having any 12v start & run power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the generator cable from the gen set to the coach batteries.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
You have two sets of batteries in your coach, chassis, and coach. When you push the Aux/start button, it ties the two sets together such that you are now using BOTH sets together to do what you want to do (i.e. starting the coach, or starting the genset.) The chassis battery starts the RV engine. The coach battery starts the genset. When you push the Aux/start button you add the chassis battery to the coach battery (in parallel). It is pretty obvious that coach battery is somehow not connected properly to the genset. Find that problem.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog