cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendation for New or Used Bumper Pull Toy Hauler

redrobin60
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the market for a new RV. It's been 7 years since we last looked and alot has changed.
We have been full timing in our Cedar Creek for the past 7 years but now we want a small Toy Hauler. No more than 33 feet and 1 slide in Bedroom. That floorplan is pretty much the same across the board but what really matters is quality & manufacturers warranty. It has also been suggested to stay away from Covid building years if we buy used.
So please suggest Make & Model & why. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
my brother and his family have an Attitude. It's an open floor plan meaning no separate garage. It's a shorter fiver model and they really like it except I'm not sure they can get a 4 seat SxS in there. Has swivel rockers and a big bay window. They're the second owners & have owned it for 5 years. Mostly use it in Forest Service campgrounds and boondocking.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

redrobin60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses.
We plan on taking our electric golf cart.
We are looking at toy-haulers mostly becuz of the patios outback. Like the idea for our dog to be able to go outside.
We currently have a 40' 5'er. Full-timed for 6 years and just looking to downsize to something smaller for weekends and summer vacays. Been camping for 20 years. And have had the whole gambit, MH, Travel Trailer & 5th Wheel.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jukes wrote:
hi you mentioned having a toy hauler but no toys, I am curious about getting one just to haul a couple of ebikes, I like the flexible layout? Looking for a travel trailer one perhaps, under 30'...

I assume this is directed at my post.

I've thought of a couple of ebikes also (no gas fumes inside) but so far haven't pulled the trigger.

But yes, very flexible interior. We swapped out the uncomfortable fold up bench seats in the back.
- On the one side, I built some shelves.
- On the other we put in a dual recliner (man was it easier to just drop the back wall vs wiggling thru the side door like we did on our last trailer.

Mostly selected it because we got a deal on the unit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jukes wrote:
hi you mentioned having a toy hauler but no toys, I am curious about getting one just to haul a couple of ebikes, I like the flexible layout? Looking for a travel trailer one perhaps, under 30'...

I'm not sure anyone in this thread mentioned that, but I have in the past. I/we went after a toyhauler primarily for the open/extra interior space it provides (not a dedicated separate garage model) and secondarily for a chassis that is not maxxed out or close to maxxed out like many travel trailers.

Although not sure if you had a question, or not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jukes
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Do you have your heart set on a bumper pull? The reason I ask is that bumper pull toyhaulers can be a pain to pull sometimes, more so than a fifth wheel. Getting the tongue weight right on a toyhauler seems to an issue. This is JMO of course, not based on actual usage, I could be dead wrong.

I think this is more an issue of using marginal trucks.

Toy haulers tend to have higher hitch weights unless you max out the weight in the garage.

Higher hitch weights actually pull better (same reason 5th wheels pull well) but if if you select a truck based on a 10-12% hitch weight assumption and it's running 15-18%, good chance you are overloaded and will be an uncomfortable pull.

Biggest issue with bumper pulls is most are smaller, so the garage is doing double duty as living space, which means you have to pull the toys out at every stop. Not an issue if you are doing a long weekend 100miles from home but if going cross country and just stopping for the night, it's going to get old pretty quick.

We currently have a 29ft and it pulls really nice but we don't have toys and we are using a 3/4 ton, so no concerns with high hitch weight.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Y-Guy
So hard to suggest anything used, there are always some good ones that roll off the line and some built by Gilligan too, much of it depends on owner and how well they maintained it. Covid era trailers were definitely pushed out fast, but that's not really anything new. I'm seeing a lot for sale, but a lot of those owners are upside down (also nothing new) so they are trying to get more then their RV is worth on the used market today.

The two I think I'd be looking at close would be the Outdoor RV and Genesis Supreme. Do keep in mind that many/most RVs don't warrant use for full time, so that might be an aspect to focus on. Grand Design used to, but I think they dropped it, I seem to recall some Cougars & Montans might have.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not alot of TT/TH experience, but I'm fairly impressed with the quality and amenities of our Heartland trailer. (It's still a trailers not a custom home, but seems pretty well put together so far.)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
Do you have your heart set on a bumper pull? The reason I ask is that bumper pull toyhaulers can be a pain to pull sometimes, more so than a fifth wheel. Getting the tongue weight right on a toyhauler seems to an issue. This is JMO of course, not based on actual usage, I could be dead wrong.

As a sample of one person here, my 30' bumper pull was a lot of work to drive, but my 45' fiver is a joy to pull. It's slow and dumb, but it's as chill as a St. Bernard.

To the OP's question though...

Hey Red Robin - Nobody likes people who answer questions with questions, but what kind of toys will you be loading? Your load is important to the equation like fj12ryder mentioned.

Also, a lot of units have those small slides in the living areas. They're OK if you're just loading a bike or two, but they get in the way of an SxS and they add a lot of weight.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"