Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dinghy towing question

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I got a jeep this year to tow behind my camper. So far loving the added flexibility it gives me!
After driving to my destination, when I go to unhook, I've been noticing that my pin between the tow bar and the jeep frequently floats around. The pin has frequently slid all the way out so that the safety hitch pin is all the way against the side of the clevis bracket. Is this normal?
I'm slightly concerned about the safety pin failing or breaking some day and the bar with the red handle falling out. (have safety cables attached, but definitely don't want to need to use them...)

Setup using ReadyBrute/Ready Brake tow bar, and maximus 3 tow loops on the jeep side.

8 REPLIES 8

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
With bars shaped like V, every time you stop the bars push on the pins toward the outside. The easy fix is reverse the pin. When bars push to outside, motion is stopped by the shoulder, not pin.

And best practice is pin should be locked so can only rotate 1 side of hinge, rotate only in the part that has the largest surface.

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the advice! I think that may be the answer. I wasn't paying too close attention to when the pins were sliding, but I'm pretty sure that it was happening when I inserted them from the outside towards the center.
I switched to that direction because it was a little easier to get it started in the holes to get everything lined up.
Next time I tow next week, I'll try to go from the center out and see if that solves it for me. That makes sense, because that is the direction that the pins shifted towards the outside.
thanks all! that was a quick and easy answer.

Y-Guy
enblethen wrote:
Do both pins slide toward the safety pin?
It could be an alignment problem with the base plates.
I would try putting the pins in from opposite direction and see if they move away from safety pins. That would be handles toward the center of the toad.

In my case after I changed the direction of inserting the clevis pin the head of the pin was now the piece resting on the edge of the clevis, not the cotter pin. While it's probably not a big deal, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 4 large washers and put one on each side of the pin. That helps keep the cotter pin isolated.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do both pins slide toward the safety pin?
It could be an alignment problem with the base plates.
I would try putting the pins in from opposite direction and see if they move away from safety pins. That would be handles toward the center of the toad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
On edit: Oops, I see Y-Guy posted the same thing, so I'll just leave mine as a second vote...

If you always put the pins in from the outside in, try reversing them. I found the pins on our tow bar always drifted outwards, so installing them from the inside always keeps the safety clips away from the tow bar. It's so consistent in keeping the clip away from the bar that I suspect I could leave the clips off and nothing would happen. I have no plans to test that theory though ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Y-Guy
NatParkJunkie wrote:
Hello
...I'm slightly concerned about the safety pin failing or breaking some day and the bar with the red handle falling out. (have safety cables attached, but definitely don't want to need to use them...)

Setup using ReadyBrute/Ready Brake tow bar, and maximus 3 tow loops on the jeep side.

I have a ReadyBrute as well, had the same observation as you did. I didn't want to rely on the cotter pin, so I flipped how I inserted the clevis pins so the cotter pin is now on the outside. Inserting the clevis from the inside to the outside. I can't explain why the clevis pin seems to always move to the outside (towards bumper end) but it does. Now the pressure is on the handle, might not be as easy to remove in some situations but I've had no problems.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
these are the pins we use. i think you can see the difference.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle