Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dude ranch RV parks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/22 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a 'dude ranch' but there is an RV park near Custer SD that has stables and livery horses. We have stayed there and found the sites a little to close. It did have FHU and you could bring your own horses. View of the Cathedral Spires there in the Hills was great. I have no idea of the trails or properties available to ride.
Is is Broken Arrow Campground and is off local rd 793 south of hiway 16 on the east side of Custer City.

I should add, I checked this morning and found they have expanded the size of the CG as well sites. Now it has cabins and 'mess hall' and meeting hall.

* This post was edited 06/20/22 07:55am by Horsedoc *

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/22 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

The looking I've done brings up exactly what has been said here already. No real RV full hookup type Dude Ranch stays available. .....

Huh? There were 4-5 listed up thread.

The one I listed in Michigan, specifically has an RV park as part of the property.

If you are looking for a $15/n full hookup dude ranch experience, you will be disappointed. We have friends who own horses and it's not a cheap hobby, so that will translate into the price of the dude ranch.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/22 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

terry bison ranch resort just south of cheyenne,wyoming has what you are looking for or did before covid came along. have not been by there since covid
started

Shadow57

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/22 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually take our horses with us when we can. Most parks & places we go don't rent horses. This is not a Dude Ranch but you can camp and rent horses.

https://www.rattlesnakesaloon.net/ in Alabama.

We did drive the motor home to Bryce Canyon and rent horses. I highly recommend Ruby's Campground (I believe they rent horses) but we used

http://www.mechamoutfitters.com/

None of these are Dude Ranch Experiences but great places to ride. Also whoever said horses are expensive, very true. Much cheaper to trail ride and camp than show. When fussing about the price always remember. Good horses aren't cheap and cheap horses aren't good. Takes a good horse for some of these trails.

I will be following this thread, and we will take our own horses. Thank you.

2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shadow57 wrote:

We usually take our horses with us when we can. Most parks & places we go don't rent horses. This is not a Dude Ranch but you can camp and rent horses.

Good horses aren't cheap and cheap horses aren't good.

We have learned that if you "rent" horses to ride it is best not to let the place know you have horses as they tend to stick you on horses that are more difficult. We are paying to have an enjoyable ride, not to help train your horses.

Love the comment "Good horses aren't cheap and cheap horses aren't good."

Ridgeway, SC

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zion Ponderosa right outside the East entrance to Zion national park does the horses as well as ATVs, guided canyon hikes, paintball, fishing, shooting, rock climbing, etc. Not exactly a dude ranch but similar and a great experience. In addition to doing the activities onsite the wife and I took a day and went over to Bryce, hiked around and then did another horse ride with a company near the Bryce Canyon Country Rodeo.
They've got a small full hookup RV park onsite. When we stayed the sites were more expensive but it was all-inclusive, it looks like they've gone to an ala carte system with each activity being a separate fee. To my eyes it's not as good of a value but you can look at their site and make your own judgement.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/22 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Zion Ponderosa right outside the East entrance to Zion national park does the horses as well as ATVs, guided canyon hikes, paintball, fishing, shooting, rock climbing, etc. Not exactly a dude ranch but similar and a great experience. In addition to doing the activities onsite the wife and I took a day and went over to Bryce, hiked around and then did another horse ride with a company near the Bryce Canyon Country Rodeo.
They've got a small full hookup RV park onsite. When we stayed the sites were more expensive but it was all-inclusive, it looks like they've gone to an ala carte system with each activity being a separate fee. To my eyes it's not as good of a value but you can look at their site and make your own judgement.

My wife has a gnarly scar from when she rolled one of their ATVs. She's an expert dirt bike rider, but she'd never ridden an ATV before and it rolled on top of her. It looked like she had transmission fluid on her jeans, but I made our guide turn around and had her drop her pants. Turns out I could see her femur through the wound. Luckily the guide had a radio and was able to get us some help so we could carry her out of there to the ambulance.

It happened on a Sunday and the on-call doctor was at temple in Kanab when he got the page. He asked a few questions and then realized that the victim was a woman, so he declined to respond and went back to church instead.

So much for doing unto others.

The intern who stitched her up was pretty nervous and his sutures were horrible. 15+ years later and her leg looks like a shark bit her.

She's still a badass though. [emoticon]

EDIT: I just remembered that we still owe them a wastebasket. Even though she's a badass, she doesn't tolerate pain meds very well and she was still getting sick when we left Ponderosa. I figured we needed the waste basket worse than they did at the moment.

We stayed at Zion River Resort for a few days after that and I had to take her in to a clinic in Hurricane every day to have her drain advanced a little bit.

Memories.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/22 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stumbled across Rancho Cortez in Bandera TX that claims to have 2 FHU sites

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.