cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roof repair?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a Voltage 3950 and I've noticed a soft spot on the rood. It's about even with the back end of the living room slide. There appears to be a 5" long slice in the rubber roof in the middle of the soft spot. I looked at it before and thought only the white part of the roof was cut but because of the soft sport and a 3" circle showing some water damage on the inside, I guess it's through to the wood. I must have hit a branch or more likely a branch fell on the rig.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I need to cut the rubber roof to remove the soft plywood OR if it's OK to glue a 2'x2' 1/4" piece of plywood over the soft spot then seal it with white stuff. A 2' square should be enough to straddle two roof ribs.

3 REPLIES 3

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you attempt to repair it, do it the correct way. Cut the roofing material 4-6" past the affected area. Cut our as little plywood as possible. Reinforce the cross section with flat 2X4's at each end, being sure you slide the lumber under the existing plywood. Use screws, not nails (they hace 3X the holding power). Add the new plywood. Screw it all down, including the edge of the existing plywood. Cut the new roof material larger than the piece you cut out. Glue it in place. Use Eternabond tape on top of the new roofing material, to ensure permanent adhesion (Eternabond tape is a real pain to remove).

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
griffy00 wrote:
They make a rubber roof repair tape that can be found at most RV part centers.Just a thought to stop further moisture damage.

Eternabond.

griffy00
Explorer
Explorer
They make a rubber roof repair tape that can be found at most RV part centers.Just a thought to stop further moisture damage.
'05 Ford F350 Supercab V10 SRW 430 Rearend
33.5' '05 Discover America CKQG LS NuWa Hitchhiker
Reese Signature Series 18K Hitch