cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the real scoop on propane tank re-certification?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
My Arctic Fox has (2) 40lb propane tanks that are now 12 years old and, although I haven't tried refilling after their 12th birthday, I'm fairly certain I'll be turned away. My understanding is that I can have them inspected/re-certified for another 5 years.

It would cost a little over $300 to replace with new tanks. I don't know how much re-certification will cost because I can't find anyone who does this. Once I know the cost, I can decide between replace or re-certify.

Does anyone know who performs tank re-certification in SoCal (Ventura County/San Fernando Valley areas)?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
22 REPLIES 22

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Try AmeriGas in Oxnard

The OP is in Simi Valley - looooong way to Oxnard !!....:E

(and -Yikes!-you're in Fresno ??)

With a little bit of effort *locally* you can find a *convenient* place to refill. About 3 miles from my home in Orange County, a local gas/diesel station refills tanks at a good price...:C
(they do a good business filling tanks - often several folks waiting!)

*NEVER* had the attendant that comes out to the giant supply tank - check the date on the 20# or 40# tank you want him to fill...:W

Como se dice...."gracias amigo!"...:W

~

I used to have a place that didn't check. That was before they became a tank exchange dealer. Now they check because it means more $$$$ for them if the tanks are expired.

I found a place in Sylmar. They wouldn't tell me over the phone how much they will charge. Said I had to take it to the dock and have a technician inspect it and he would tell me. They also refill there. It's looking more like I might just order a pair of new tanks from Camping World (oddly they seem to have the best price).

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Try AmeriGas in Oxnard

I called them. They said the closest location that does the recertification is in Orange County (Placentia).

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Try AmeriGas in Oxnard

The OP is in Simi Valley - looooong way to Oxnard !!....:E

(and -Yikes!-you're in Fresno ??)

With a little bit of effort *locally* you can find a *convenient* place to refill. About 3 miles from my home in Orange County, a local gas/diesel station refills tanks at a good price...:C
(they do a good business filling tanks - often several folks waiting!)

*NEVER* had the attendant that comes out to the giant supply tank - check the date on the 20# or 40# tank you want him to fill...:W

Como se dice...."gracias amigo!"...:W

~

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to keep in mind. If going to Canada, they don't accept US re-certification. The re-cert is good for 5 years and new US tanks now have a 10 year date until re-cert needs to be done.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
FlatBroke wrote:
Take it to blue rhino and trade it in for filled one. I traded for about the price of filling it.

The OP has a 40# and Blue Rhino only has 20#. Doug

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to blue rhino and trade it in for filled one. I traded for about the price of filling it.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any propane dealer will do them, as for cost, my last one was free, as my Daughter works for one.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Try AmeriGas in Oxnard
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No idea about there, but here the rule is 10 yrs. It is close to a wash
with 30 lbers to get new cylinders or get new vales (BTDT). Got to time your " when empty" and cost, because you lose whatever propane is in there when getting new valves.

No idea about 40 lbers. Was a guy with a bigger portable tank than a 30 (I thought) ahead of me last time which had the same filling set-up as the big tank in our C. Not sure what that was all about! With the big C type tanks there is no time limit rule.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
By me in nj they wanted like 80 bucks for recertification. They do a pressure test. And thats for 5 years, not worth it. They did take my almost new looking tank and for 10 extra dollers gave me one that was beat to hell and would be food for the 5 years. So, depends on the place and if you can find one. To me it looks like they just look it over and slap a date sticker on it. And they probably do it that way. If you can get it dont for any of the above prices I would do it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Njmurvin wrote:
We don't have too many places in town that actually refill them. Most do swaps of 20lb tanks. I guess I'll call around to the places that do refill and ask them. I know the local Uhaul refills them, but I don't think they will recertify because I've been turned away from there before when I had expired tanks.
Do you have a Tractor Supply store out there?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Njmurvin wrote:
time2roll wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Can't answer your question. But if you're a Costco member it's half that price. My local Costco used to stock the cylinders in the warehouse. But I don't recall seeing them on the floor in last year or so.
Costco
I was going to say just replace at costco.com
A few years ago I paid just over half that amount IIRC.

Thanks. But, I think the Costco tanks are the 20lb BBQ size tanks. Mine are 40lb tanks which are quite a bit larger.
The link is a 30 pound. Might be OK if the 40 is getting heavy lately.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have too many places in town that actually refill them. Most do swaps of 20lb tanks. I guess I'll call around to the places that do refill and ask them. I know the local Uhaul refills them, but I don't think they will recertify because I've been turned away from there before when I had expired tanks.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Can't answer your question. But if you're a Costco member it's half that price. My local Costco used to stock the cylinders in the warehouse. But I don't recall seeing them on the floor in last year or so.
Costco
I was going to say just replace at costco.com
A few years ago I paid just over half that amount IIRC.

Thanks. But, I think the Costco tanks are the 20lb BBQ size tanks. Mine are 40lb tanks which are quite a bit larger.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L