cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC and MPG

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just sold my 5th wheel. With diesel fuel topping $7/gallon here in California, I can't see pulling a trailer at 12mpg. So, the question I have is....what can of MPG can I expect to get from my 2000 F350 7.3 if I decided to get say a 10' camper? With my 27' 5th wheel I averaged 12mpg. Without about 17mpg. 3.73 gears, automatic, 165k miles. Unchipped.
29 REPLIES 29

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
I have determined beyond the shadow of a doubt, that getting to where you're going, and staying put longer, with fewer separate destinations in between than originally planned, will unequivocally lower your fuel costs.

+1

My own personal rule is that I need to spend at minimum 2x the time at any given place then the time it takes to get to/from place.

Example: spend a day traveling to/from somewhere? Best stay there minimum 2 days. 🙂

- Mark0.

Killingsworth
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1999 f250 short bed with a 1997 Lance squirelite 165s i got 14 mpg. I got solid 12 pulling a 2003 wildcat fbs26 with the same truck. You can look up the specs of the 1997 lance campers to compare with what ever you get for a truck camper. That same 1999 f 250 got 12mpg pulling a car trailer with a ranger pick up on it across the western US
My guess is that your mileage will be very close to 12 to 13 with a bigger camper. The 165 is about the smallest lance camper they make, at least in 1997.
I have a 2002 Lance 1130 with a '06 f 350 drw now and I dont even check the mileage, it is what it is. I hate to say it but with fuel $7.00 plus it is starting to make sence to drive the honda and stay at a motel, in some situations. I really have to want to be in the camper to spend the extra money.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have determined beyond the shadow of a doubt, that getting to where you're going, and staying put longer, with fewer separate destinations in between than originally planned, will unequivocally lower your fuel costs.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
My camper 'lives' on my truck. Avg ~13MPG. Diesel is ~$6 around here these days.

Seems like I'm always crossing a pass ether going, coming or both.

- Mark0.

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
As someone has already mentioned, fuel mileage is very subjective. Our truck/camper combo with the speed and how I drive returns 16 US mpg all day long. We towed a 26' Dutchman TT a few years back, mileage was less at 12 US mpg but we were carrying more stuff in our truck bed and in the trailer. GVW with camper on commercial scales is right at 12,000 lbs, GCW of truck and trailer was right around 14,500 lbs. No shortage of power either way but our truck with camper is more fuel efficient.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or to answer this a different way, fuel mileage is sooo subjective to begin with multitudes of factors that make direct comparisons not practical. Not the least of which are driving habits, locale, vehicle, size of camper, “optimistic” reports by fuel mileage “kings” etc.

A generic “10ft camper” could range from a popup to a Host or Eagle Cap. And that alone will make a huge difference.
If you’re thinking about a TC for fuel savings only, it’s not likely going to pan out as well as one might hope.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I get quite a bit better with the camper over my 5th wheel. the fith if I range between 10.5 and 15 mpg depending how and where I am driving the camper I get 15 to 17mpg.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I avg 13-14mpg now that I drive at a max of 60mph.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Just did 4K miles between 2 trips. 10.5 to 11mpg. 4.88 axle on 5500. 74 gallons with dual tanks so I look for lower cost when filling up. Cruise on 65 mph.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
I had a 2010 Ram CTD and now a 2018 Ram CTD. There is a big difference in fuel economy. With my Northstar Igloo I was lucky to get 12-13 mpg on the open road. Now with the 2018 I am in the 14-16 mpg range.

Well, that is due to emissions garbage on the 2010 vs the 2018. This thread was about comparing a 5ver to a TT, not an old truck to a new one with the same camper.

First I have no idea about "emissions garbage". My diesels have run clean with good mileage and both emissions and mileage have improved.

Second, this is a truck camper forum. Why would this be the place to discuss 5th wheelers or TTs? The OP has already sold his trailer and asked about TC mileage.

Ok buddy, allow me to explain what I said more clearly as it went straight over your head.
The tier III emissions on your 2010 produces worse overall fuel milage apples to apples compared to tier IV emissions on your 2018. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And second, as you put it, the OPs question was asking about comparing mileage with his 5ver to mileage with a TT. I don’t make this stuff up…

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
My Duramax averages about 11.5 US mpg while towing the 5er, and my with my camper the same truck gets around 14. Hopefully you will see an improvement.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
I had a 2010 Ram CTD and now a 2018 Ram CTD. There is a big difference in fuel economy. With my Northstar Igloo I was lucky to get 12-13 mpg on the open road. Now with the 2018 I am in the 14-16 mpg range.

Well, that is due to emissions garbage on the 2010 vs the 2018. This thread was about comparing a 5ver to a TT, not an old truck to a new one with the same camper.

First I have no idea about "emissions garbage". My diesels have run clean with good mileage and both emissions and mileage have improved.

Second, this is a truck camper forum. Why would this be the place to discuss 5th wheelers or TTs? The OP has already sold his trailer and asked about TC mileage.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
kirkl wrote:
My Cummins ram got about the same towing a 33ft trailer or hauling a 8ft camper.

Pretty much the same for us - I get a little better MPGs (about 14) because I have a popup TC that weighs about 1300#. It's all about the size of the hole you have to punch through the air....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!