cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Redwood 3401rl vs artic fox 27-5

timn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok am looking at these two 5th wheels really like them both, like the floor plan better on the redwood. But like the length better on the artic fox, pulling with 2500 diesel. Hitch weight 2200 on the artic fox 2300 on the redwood so not much difference that's from the mgf specs help me out with non bias opinions thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
To be safe, use 20% of the GVWR of the Arctic Fox to determine the pin weight. That puts you at about 2700lbs. Check the sticker on your truck's door jamb if it's a later model truck for the payload rating of the truck. Consider the weight of the hitch, passengers and other cargo in the bed along with the pin weight of the trailer.

FWIW, my SRW 3500 truck has 3900lbs payload rating and my older AF (they got heavier in 2013 when they went with wide body) has a lighter pin weight of about 2400lbs (20% of 12000lbs GVWR). With a light Andersen hitch, I have no problem handling this weight with my SRW truck.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure you are not using the dry or brochure weights. Look on the upper left outside area for the weight data tag. Take 20% to 22% of the trailer GVWR for an estimated loaded trailer weight. Use this number and forget the dry weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

timn
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have a 2500 and a 3500 but we made a offer on the af I like the redwood the best but the price difference and length was the selling point for me.

TXiceman wrote:
timn wrote:
The redwood is a 2018 and the fox is a 2018. I think we are going to make a offer on the fox and keep my 3500 thanks for the help.

Your original post said you had a 2500 series truck. Check carefully, a SRW 3500 with the right payload package might get by OK.

Ken

Agreedโ€ฆ IF you in fact have a 3500 truck, your payload will be higher than the 2500 and depending on the RV, you may be okโ€ฆ. I pull my 2020 Redwood with a 3500 SRWโ€ฆ I am NOT over any of my numbers, I am at max, buy only do weekends here and there with 1 longer full week vacation mixed inโ€ฆ

Watch your axle and tire capacitiesโ€ฆ.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
timn wrote:
The redwood is a 2018 and the fox is a 2018. I think we are going to make a offer on the fox and keep my 3500 thanks for the help.

Your original post said you had a 2500 series truck. Check carefully, a SRW 3500 with the right payload package might get by OK.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

timn
Explorer
Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The Redwood is going to be way over your trucks payload rating.
https://www.wilkinsrv.com/product/new-2021-redwood-rv-redwood-3401rl-1285638-5

The 27-5L will be also but not as bad.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
First thing is to not use the dry or brochure weight to evaluate an RV. The dry weight does not include any added options on the RV like, awning, batteries, microwave, television, etc.

Look on the trailer in the upper right outside corner for the sticker with the GVWR. Use 22% of the GVWR to estimate a loaded pin weight. A 3/4-ton truck has a limited payload or cargo capacity to carry the pin weight.

Start by getting a real-world actual weight for the trucks front, rear and total weight when loaded for travel with all passengers, cargo and hitch. Redwoods tend to be heavy so I doubt if a 3/4-ton truck can handle either trailer.

There are TWO parts to selecting a tow vehicle. One is the towing capacity and second is the payload capacity. Make sure the truck can handle both withing ratings when the truck and trailer are loaded.

Honestly, a 3/4 ton truck is pretty much limited to trailers that actually measure 34 to 34 feet and GVWR of 15,000 lb.

Last thing is Redwood is owned by Thor and they are not known for quality control. I would select Arctic Fox over Redwood, but neither one with a 3/4-ton truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.

what year is the Redwood?

I am on my 2nd Redwood, 1st was a 2015, this one is a 2020..I can tell you that I do not believe that there are any Redwood models that can be pulled by a 2500 series.... Yes, They can TOW/PULL it... It will be the PIN weight. Redwood, like many other manufacturers usually post an almost unrealistic "DRY" weight..

As the seller IF the unit was weighted, ready to camp and see what that number is.

I have no experience with the Arctic Fox, but am really happy with my Redwood, both of them... They are NOT the same company tough , now that Keystone is the managing partner....

They are still made by the same Redwood folks, but they NEW way of think is Keystones,.... ALL that said, I had 2 issues after warranty and they were awesome to work with nd handled the problem.

Good Luck with your decision..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet