cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need new tires

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I need new tires for my 3/4 ton Silverado (see my signature). Looking for recommendations for both towing and for general use. LT 245 75/R17E. I am usually towing approx. 7000-9000 lbs.

With diesel fuel approaching $6/gallon in my area I won’t be towing too far from from home anytime soon. Because of that I am not willing to pay top $$$ for the best tires anymore. My goal now is to be safe and to not get stranded somewhere.

Your helpful thoughts are appreciated.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
17 REPLIES 17

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Got a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP on my Ram 2500 CTD.

Replaced the crappy OEM Firestone Transforce at 28K. I'm around 40K miles on the Coopers and still many thousands of miles left on them, and they were the cheapest name brand tires I could find.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just check the load ratings but we never buy the top brands and usually sell the truck before they wear out (40-60k miles on the last couple sets).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

specta
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I would suggest round ones.

Marty

We really need a like button. 🙂
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

blt2ski
Grit,

That square body your son has can probably do pretty well in the tire diam too!

But with that said, if one wants to get real on tires, my best luck has been with cooper's. The AT3 is a winner for more than one person who's had them. Including some 245 75 16s I had on a rwd 2500.
I've have transformed HT on a work van, got some 70k Mike's out of those doing hwy driving 50k seems more common if you doing a mixture. Not great in snow. Rain and dry roads fine.
Toyo have been good.
Michelin and Good Year have been a mixed bag. My current 1500 came with GSA, horrible in rain. No idea about snow. Worst yet probably. I have duratrac now. A bit noisy on dry roads, great in snow, rain. I should have have gone with the AT3.
Not made anymore, michilen xde m+s if you want a hwy traction in a 19.5 size. Otherwise, skip this brand.

As I said initially, tires are like truck brands and other things. Most in reality are good and will do what they are designed to do. Take them outside of that spec, they suck....
Mileage will depend upong driving style. All hwy, you'll get 20-30% more miles than I will doing city driving. Loaded less than unladen.

Choose you poison, enjoy life.
Say high to tim on Gary Lane if you know him.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 55k on my Michelins on my DRW with plenty of tread left. They will easily make it 60k, this is with almost 1/2 the miles towing with a 6k pin weight.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

Only answer that is not personal brand, tred design personal in nature.

Marty

I thought you needed square tires for those square fender cut outs on GMs.

Grit and Cummins12V need those for their dodges.....ooops....errrr ram thingies ma bobs!

Ford's use triangles with tracks on them....

Or so I've been led to believe.....

Marty

Where the HE!! is the "LIKE BUTTON" ???????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

Grit and Cummins12V need those for their dodges.....ooops....errrr ram thingies ma bobs!

Marty

Cmon Marty! I know you’re a Chevy guy thru n thru, but at least my Dodger Ram can fit bigger tires than a cheebie!
PS I have twice as many square fender GM trucks in the driveway (one is double square since it apparently is a square body too lol) than Rams!
Cheers bud!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jamesu wrote:
Thanks much for the serious answers, especially from south of here in BlackDiamond. I appreciate it.

I’m just looking for a “square” deal.

Thanks James!
Yes I’ve also run the Firestone trans force OE tires on Ram trucks and very impressed with their wear and load carrying ability. Despite a lot of the discontent with them. The HT and AT are horrible in the snow, but they held up great running overloaded cross county with a TC on the truck. They are or at least were very reasonably priced in the past. Cost was on par with “ no name” tires.
Thoughts on 17” HD truck wheels? Should be outlawed (figuratively) since they were OE spec for so long and the tire mfgs quit making heavy duty tires in 17” sizes almost 10 years ago.
If you’re planning on keeping your truck for a long time more, give the upgrade to OE 18 or 20” takeoff wheels a consideration.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Silverado has a LT265 60R20, so a more expensive tire. The OEM tires were the Goodyear Wrangler SRA. I debated going with other tires since so many think OEM tires are junk, but I got over 70K miles and 7 years and much of it towing a 5th wheel. Last fall I paid just under $800 mounted and balanced for the same tire. Purchased off the Goodyear website as they had a discount. They deliver to a local shop of your preference and you just go in and they install, the mount and balance was paid with the tires. I think they have $250 off a set right now or you can use code USEF to get 20% off. At $200 a tire, you can buy junk maybe for less, but you get junk. Get a good quality tire and you won't be rebuying again in a couple years.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If recommended by GS members, I’ll try square tires.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much for the serious answers, especially from south of here in BlackDiamond. I appreciate it.

I’m just looking for a “square” deal.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

blt2ski
Fisherman wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been getting great service and ride from Firestone Transforce H/T.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might look at Cooper tires.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"