cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Cancelling Truck Camper Trips Due to Fuel Prices?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please, no political comments.

We have a 5,000 mile trip planned with reservations made, but we are reconsidering due to fuel prices. 60 cents per mile for diesel is pretty bad.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
84 REPLIES 84

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:

Ed and I just had this discussion - our problem is that the "clock is ticking" (how long will we be healthy enough to want to do our epic sightseeing trips?) so we're going, no matter what the price.

Adventure before Dementia !;)

ROFL!!! Yes, thank goodness for GPS systems, "just in case" ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
You may not get in to Yellowstone at all.

Maybe, but Iโ€™m only a few hours away.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:
BradW wrote:
It seems that mother nature has the last say on my 5,000 mile Yellowstone trip. The flooding has wiped out many road sections in the northern end of the park. Some roads are not expected to reopen this season.

Yep, that's a bummer for sure. We were going to loop through Yellowstone and let the grandkids see Mammoth on the way to the Billings Zoo. We may still go to Yellowstone, but won't be able to follow the path we planned.

You may not get in to Yellowstone at all.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
BradW wrote:
It seems that mother nature has the last say on my 5,000 mile Yellowstone trip. The flooding has wiped out many road sections in the northern end of the park. Some roads are not expected to reopen this season.

Yep, that's a bummer for sure. We were going to loop through Yellowstone and let the grandkids see Mammoth on the way to the Billings Zoo. We may still go to Yellowstone, but won't be able to follow the path we planned.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems that mother nature has the last say on my 5,000 mile Yellowstone trip. The flooding has wiped out many road sections in the northern end of the park. Some roads are not expected to reopen this season. Some things just ain't meant to be.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Dr_J_the_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:

Ed and I just had this discussion - our problem is that the "clock is ticking" (how long will we be healthy enough to want to do our epic sightseeing trips?) so we're going, no matter what the price.

--------

Adventure before dementia...love it.

In Dawson City, Yukon on a 6000 km trip from Van Isle. Paying up to $2.60/L. That's per litre, folks. X 3.8 for conversion to a gallon. Painful yes, but worth every penny. It's all relative...

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went into town last night to get a pizza and noted the price of diesel at our only station. Today it was at $7.19. A 15 cent jump in 18 hrs. Might need to pack soon and leave while we can still afford it!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/report/prices.php#:~:text=Diesel%20wholesale%20margins%20in%20the,...

Looks like the prediction for 2023 fuel price is not much better. So putting our trip off until next may not make much of a difference on fuel costs.

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
We are still traveling when we can but just taking it slower. Instead of doing a trip in 3 weeks we now take 4 or 5 weeks to cover the same distance. Cost per week works out to be about the same that way.

Also luckily we moved states which means most of the areas we like to go for short trips has been reduced by 300 miles.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
S Davis wrote:
No ,added a extra 51 gallon tank. Instead of using my commercial supplier I am shopping around.

87 gallons@ $5.85 last fill up, contractor I work with just paid $6.40 in Bellinham WA.

I think your on to something with that idea. During the summer the TC rig is in use a ton. If you can shave off a hundred bucks a week by just stopping where itโ€™s cheaper that is just smart. Maybe Iโ€™ll start doing that with cans. Love the tank!!!!!!

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
ReneeG wrote:
One way to save is to use your gas CC. Sinclair gives you .10 off per gallon using the card and Chevron gives you .05 off per gallon and .02 credit on your overall bill. You can see that we always use Sinclair right now.

I have the Citi Double Cash credit card that gives me 2% back on all my purchases. At $5 per gallon that also saves 10 cents per gallon. Yippee!

I did fulltime in 2020 and I was paying $1.89 per gallon. I feel like a genius because I sold my motorhome in Feb. 2021. I might buy another one next year and do it again, depending upon all the prices. I might not. It was fun, but I don't know if it's $5 a gallon fun.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
No ,added a extra 51 gallon tank. Instead of using my commercial supplier I am shopping around.

87 gallons@ $5.85 last fill up, contractor I work with just paid $6.40 in Bellinham WA.

Bedlam
Reality Check wrote:
Life is short, every day's a gift, and waiting for the perfect time is a losing proposition.. Camp on.

My wife uses the same phrase and we try to enjoy life while we can. We rolled by Realty Check on Thursday in search of better weather on the dry side of the mountains.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD