cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Thetford Tecma macerator toilet problem

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brought the 2016 Winnebago Journey home to get ready to leave in two weeks. Thetford Tecma is dead. Not responsive to pressing buttons on wall. No lights, sounds, etc. I did a reset on the 12V system and the blue panel light did light on the wall switch, but still dead.
I verified 13V on main power coming into the controller. Voltage on the wall switch line was 10.9V. The wall switch only has two wires. So not sure how all the switch functions work on just two wires except that perhaps it may be a canbus logic system like the Firefly switch system.

My problem has to be either the wall switch or the controller. I did order a wall switch from Amazon which will be here today. I can send it back it that doesnโ€™t solve my problem. That leaves the controller since there is not anything else that could go wrong.

Since it is Memorial Day weekend I canโ€™t call Thetford. Any comments on their tech support? Are they one of those companies who offer not support except to call an authorized factory dealer?

Suggestions comments please. Donโ€™t want to try to get in line at the local RV shop.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
3 REPLIES 3

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
THETFOR TECMA MACERATOR NOT FLUSHING PROBLEM SOLVED! Iโ€™m posting this resolution for those experiencing similar issues. The wife and I continued to troubleshoot the problem first by searching the internet over the Memorial Day weekend since Thetford support wasnโ€™t available. Found a couple of references to heat related issues with the controller and tank sensors but nothing definitive.

Wife went out Monday morning and pushed the flush button and it worked. Thinking it had somehow magically fixed itself, we periodically went out to test it. About noon wife told me it failed. She said it sounded like might be temperature related since temps were well over 90 with temps inside temps matching that. Tuesday morning the toilet was once again working. I turned on the A/C and set the thermostat to 79. Toilet continued to function into the heat of the day. Cut off the A/C late afternoon and temp inside climbed to 90 and the toilet failed.

Called Thetford the next morning and went through the problem and troubleshooting with them. The tech admitted that there was a known heat related issue with controllers delivered 2015-2016. Ordered a new controller from RV & Boat Accessories for $240 including second day ground. Also available on Amazon and other RV and marine parts suppliers. Install is simple plug and play.
Inside temp at 95 and itโ€™s still flushing!
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Updated information. I did a 12V reset and got a red light (tank full). Did another reset and got a green light, but still wouldn't fill or flush. Did a third reset and got a red light. Really starting to think it is the controller.
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels