cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Exhaust On Differential

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone that has not seen my current thread on the driveshaft issue, we hit some road debris that tore off the exhaust tailpipe and did major damage to the drive shaft. After 4 days the driveshaft has been replaced and we drove over 200 miles today and so far, no issues. However, the tailpipe is still gone since the repair shop does not do exhaust work. We still have another 600 miles to go and no place to fix the exhaust so we need to drive it without the tailpipe. With the tailpipe gone the exhaust is pointing at the differential about 3 feet in front of it. So I'm wondering if there might be a problem with hot exhaust blowing at the differential even at 3 feet away? For those that might be concerned, there is no exhaust coming in the coach. Chuck
14 REPLIES 14

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the CO will get you before you get home while you are saving time!
A Co-worker died from a damaged exhaust pipe on a generator on a rental MH with only 2500 miles on it.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Drove over 120 miles today and stopped at a Rest Stop. I took an IR reading on the housing. It was 215 degrees right around the U-Joint and less on the rest of the housing. I took a second reading after 225 miles and the reading was the same. I suspect this is not unusual for a fully loaded 34-foot motor home towing a car. I still plan to put either a turndown or 90 degree when we get to our destination tomorrow. Chuck

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I'm with the suggestion of going to autozone and get a clamp on exhaust turn down. I had one of my kids bike tires pop and the reflector on the wheel melt and bend and it was easily 3 feet away from the exhaust on the rear carrier.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check for a leak when you get there and change the dope in the differential. Cooking that oil is not good at all
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
At this point just wait till you get there. With the airflow under the RV the diff getting hot isn’t an issue. Just don’t open any rear windows while driving!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
That was yesterday. Today only 220 miles. Chuck

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Well shot you said you have over 600 miles to go and nowhere to fix the exhaust.
Maybe you need to read your own post.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Chuck,

Find a big parts store or a real exhaust shop. If you can't hit the later, get a piece of flexible exhaust and bent it away. The heat of the exhaust will probably kill the seal in the differential.

Matt

That sounds like a good idea. Chuck

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on the road trying to get from point A to point B without more delays after sitting in and paying for hotel rooms while the driveshaft was repaired. I didn't say I couldn't find a muffler shop. And the average muffler shop will not work on a Class A motorhome. I ask if there would be a problem with the hot exhaust on the differential. I didn't ask where a muffler shop is. Maybe you need to reread my initial post. Chuck

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you that you can drive over 200 miles and not be near a muffler shop?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
agree fix the exhaust now. You also are blowing very hot at the under part of the coach , brake line and other stuff.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck,

Find a big parts store or a real exhaust shop. If you can't hit the later, get a piece of flexible exhaust and bent it away. The heat of the exhaust will probably kill the seal in the differential.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Doug’s suggestion is excellent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not an issue, but if you are concerned, you can get an exhaust turn down at the local auto parts store to direct the exhaust in a different direction.
Currently Between RVs