cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big quality of life mod

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found out last year that my new trailer had the loudest possible water pump, it shook the fiberglass sides so hard that I was embarrassed to use the bathroom at night as it would wake my kids up, and possibly anyone within 5 sites of us or any tent campers in the same county. I tried deadening the lines with pool noodles, I tried isolating the pump with cork and rubber vibration pads. None of that worked. So I finally decided to get a new pump. Just got around to installing it since we've had freezing temps up until 2 weeks ago and last weekend was booked. I installed this DC House 5GPM pump and it's SO much quieter. It's a good thing too because we've got over 30 days booked so far this year for electric only sites. So far I'd definitely recommend it if you need a replacement 12V water pump, $70 is definitely reasonable and it's much better than whatever junk ShurFlo sold Dutchmen.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH
12 REPLIES 12

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I would describe my pump noise as a humm not an earthquake. No vibrating walls just a steady hum coming from the pump
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually I did both, the tank keeps the pump from running as much but doesn't help to quiet the pump when it does run, you need the flex line to isolate the hard pex piping from the pump.

NOTE: If you install a tank be sure to include a valve so you can isolate the tank when you winterize, otherwise you'll fill it with 2 gallons the pink stuff, similar concept to the HW heater bypass.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
The other big mod to make is to connect the pump to the plumbing with a length of stainless braided faucet supply hose. This isolates the pulses of the pump from the rigid pex piping.

Forget the above.
To eliminate the pulsing, install an accumulator tank like this
Bob

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I would describe my pump noise as a humm not an earthquake. No vibrating walls just a steady hum coming from the pump

My current pump set up with no mods is about as loud as the highly-modified set up I had on the TT....and it's the same pump. It's a lot quieter just by virtue of being in the basement on the 5er vs. under the sink or cabinet like on a TT

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
It's funny how we all have a different take on matters.
I have come to like hearing the pump run. I want to know if there is water flowing.
Especially want to know when running off the fresh tank, when the water supply is limited.
I've evolved see the pump noise as a "water flow alarm".
More than once the pump has let me know that water was flowing when it should not have been flowing!
I have no desire to silence my pump.

This isn't hearing the pump run, this was the entire wall between my kitchen and bathroom vibrating back and forth 1/4" and acting as a giant water hammer powered drum. It was at least 10dB louder than the AC compressor startup.
Equalizer 10k WDH

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
2112 wrote:
I think the was pointing to This Pump

Yup, that's the one, not sure what happened with my pasted link.

Take out everything between "url=" and "https" and it will work. (But leave in the "url=" and "https".) After "url=" it expects only the link. You have included some descriptive text in there.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It's funny how we all have a different take on matters.
I have come to like hearing the pump run. I want to know if there is water flowing.
Especially want to know when running off the fresh tank, when the water supply is limited.
I've evolved see the pump noise as a "water flow alarm".
More than once the pump has let me know that water was flowing when it should not have been flowing!
I have no desire to silence my pump.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:

Yup, that's the one, not sure what happened with my pasted link.
Equalizer 10k WDH

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The other big mod to make is to connect the pump to the plumbing with a length of stainless braided faucet supply hose. This isolates the pulses of the pump from the rigid pex piping. Also consider an expansion tank so that the pump doesn't have to run every time you flush, especially nice for those wee hours potty trips.

Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Your link isn't working.