cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking on Oxygen Can it Be Done?

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone tried it? I have good back up and plan on staying within 3 hours from home. Keeping two size E bottles as reserve to get home. I've got a portable battery powered concentrator with two large batteries also a regular 10 litre concentrator which requires AC power. Two Honda 2000 watt generators and 300 watts portable solar. Last but not least a 1000 watt Jackery power station.
Lot of stuff just to be able to breath!
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir
10 REPLIES 10

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sonora108 wrote:
The only thing that is a unknown is altitude, we live at 3963 feet ASL the campsite is at 7700. Think we may make a day trip up to one of our favorite areas, Sonora Pass at 10,000 ASL.

Look up "mountain sickness". Be prepared to come down to lower altitude.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/altitude-sickness/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If I'm counting correctly, you have 5 levels of backup.

I'm betting most folks in the sticks and bricks don't have that many levels of backup.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sophia11
Explorer
Explorer
That's great backup plan I also take portable generator for me and batteries

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the generators many times over the years so I am hoping they won't present a problem. I will keep two full E bottles to get me home. The only thing that is a unknown is altitude, we live at 3963 feet ASL the campsite is at 7700. Think we may make a day trip up to one of our favorite areas, Sonora Pass at 10,000 ASL. If I can get around there with oxygen then I should be ok.
The Covid pneumonia is what did my lungs in but I am getting better a little bit at a time. Not being able to get up in the high country would really depress me. I am using that as my motivator.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
It sounds like you're set up pretty well. Maybe you could do a test run from home a few days before you hit the road.

Good for you for pushing through your limitations and getting out there.
X2 Plus test with one option failing like the 10 liter machine or the portable and have a backup plan to get home.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good to me. Primary with backups.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only caution may be carbon monoxide from a generator. On one occasion the ten liter unit flashed a warning light on and off. I turned on the inverter and shut down the generator. All was well, and after an hour I restarted the generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dedmiston
It sounds like you're set up pretty well. Maybe you could do a test run from home a few days before you hit the road.

Good for you for pushing through your limitations and getting out there.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should not be an issue with all that equipment. Go have some fun.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sonora108,

I've run a 10 liter unit from a generator.
Regards, Don