cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1988 Aluminum roof covering suggestion

heyobie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1988 Travel Master (Coachman bought them). I am currently removing and putting new lap sealant on all the joints.

It has an aluminum roof on it that has been there for 34 years. Hard to believe and it is still doing the job. But I think it's time to do something to take it another 10 years.

I have had the RV for 5 years and a few years back I bought a gallon of Pro guard Liquid Roof EPDM sealant. It is kind of like epoxy in that you add a catalyst and mix.

Any comments about coating an aluminum roof are appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
The aluminum roof on my 86 looks like new, just keep joints sealed.

heyobie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. This must be what happened 4 years ago after I bought the EPDM. I did nothing. Lol

The roof looks good to me but I remember people talking about aluminum developing pinholes. But I don't see any oxidation. And when this was built, they didn't try using the thinest material they could get away with.

So, I think I'll take your advice, keep it clean and let it be.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://artradarjournal.com/2021/12/02/what-kind-of-paint-can-you-use-on-aluminum/

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You ask for thoughts. My thoughts are it's aluminum, it will probably outlast you by a few hundred years. Keep up the lap sealant as the joints are where you are going to have a problem. If you are concerned about the longevity of the actual aluminum put a coat of paint on it. Anything else like EPDM roof coating is a waste of money.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup