cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Clean Underbelly of TT After Removing Tape

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
After removing old underbelly tape from my TT, what is the best procedure to clean the underbelly before applying new tape?
Thanks, Phil
9 REPLIES 9

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI, I spent $$ on the Darco OEM underbelly tape, but the best tape that I have found for underbelly use is the Gorilla Tape they sell at the home centers. Stuff sticks like iron and is impervious to the elements.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had to do some work that required cutting the coroplast. The dealer had done some taping before I took posession of the camper, and this is what he used:

Tape

It had held up well for 10 years, so I bought the same and used it. I cleaned the coroplast with rubbing alcohol and used a little heat from a heat gun. It sealed up well.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Scrim tape for exterior application. Better than gorilla tape in my experience.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Post a review to the techโ€™s Facebook page. Shoddy workmanship!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That makes sense, thank you.
I still believe Iโ€™d use Gorilla tape unless thereโ€™s an even better reccomendTion come up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I have to redo the underbelly tape job done by an RV service tech - I had the black water shut-off valve/&cable replaced, the original underbelly of the TT had to be cut into in order to gain access to replace the valve/cable assembly. After returning home, I inspected the underbelly repair, and found several areas where the tech applied patch tape which did not cover some of the cut seams. I also did not find the patch tape to be of good quality - itโ€™s a long drive for me to haul the TT back to the RV service site, so Iโ€™m redoing the patch tape job myself.
Phil

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So seams on plastic.
Most degreasers, like used with water say for engines or floors etc leave a film.
Even some solvents like acetone still leave a film (not detrimental to tape sticking, but not acceptable for a paint prep.
If you use degreasing type cleaners Iโ€™d still hit it with a solvent or glass cleaner.
And yes good quality duct tape will last a long time. Especially when not exposed to UV. But Gorilla Tape is the bomb.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Best i've found is lacquer thinner or acetone. Other "degreaser" type cleaners work too.

If the underbelly area you are applying new tape has dirt/mud on it, clean first with some spray cleaner like 409, etc. Then wipe with lacquer thinner or acetone. (not mineral spirits/paint thinner as it can leave an oily residue behind).

The more free the surface is free of oily residue, the better the tape's adhesive will stick.

As for Tape, I really like Gorilla Tape in Black for taping my trailer's belly cover where needed. I might even consider Eternabond if I needed something more durable and Eternabond recommends cleaning with their cleaner which is just Acetone in an aerosol can. They also have a primer that really makes their product stick.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not sure what the tape is doing, what kind of tape it is, or what it is being applied to, but the following applies regardless.
Clean dirt off first.
Then a solvent to remove any oils or contamination if the surface is solvent resistant.
If not, good ole glass cleaner like like Sprayway work well also