cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extending Wifi Range???

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is stored a small distance from the house. In view of ever increasing theft / vandalism, I installed a wifi camera near it. 50 % of the time, the camera works great and I can see / record anything going on...BUT the other 50% of the time, the camera looses wifi connection... would installing a wifi extender half way between the router and camera work or are wifi range extenders a waste of time and $$$? Appreciate any comments..as crime is on rise
13 REPLIES 13

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Install a mesh system. I had some constraints that were going to require some interesting system hard wires. Got a new router which is much faster and added one mesh router, it works awesome and has substantially increased my range.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
had good results with this for low bandwidth uses

Extender

Explorer II
Explorer II
DD716TED wrote:
Thanks for inputs.. I used an inexpensive wifi extender and now all works great..
What model did you use?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I use a wifi extender and it helps too.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had any luck with the wifi extenders working through a metal sided building?

Anything that has metal, such as metal blinds, doors, furniture, infrastructure, and walls, can greatly diminish or completely terminate the WiFi signal. The more metal there is between your WiFi router and the connected device, the worse the WiFi signal will be.Oct 22, 2020

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had any luck with the wifi extenders working through a metal sided building?

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for inputs.. I used an inexpensive wifi extender and now all works great..

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ubiquiti I used a Nano Station Loco M but they make even better ones.
Not sure of the spelling but that should be close enough for Google.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Works well for me and low price

TP-Link Long Range Outdoor Wifi Transmitter from Amazon $37.00 (?)
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use an extender to get good WiFi in my detached garage. Works just great.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my office in a detached building from the main house and use a Google Nest and it really extends the distance. use the main one in place of your current router then add the other two in place around the house. Place one at the closest indoor point that you can to the camera.

My cable enters the house on the opposite side from where the office is, so I put one in the house about halfway and the other out here in the office and the signal is great.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Yes wifi extenders work. What you propose to do will help.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a CC Vector antenna, but that's probably more than you want to spend. It works great from hundreds of feet away.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman